15" MacBook Pro or 13" MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleBoyFreak, Sep 15, 2012.

?

Base model 15" MacBook Pro or upgraded 13" MacBook Air?

1. Base model 15" MacBook Pro

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. Upgraded 13" MacBook Air

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. AppleBoyFreak macrumors 6502

For my 16th birthday my dad decided he was going to buy me a Mac. The only requirement is that it's not the new retina MacBook Pro because of its price and problems. With this said I must choose between a base 15" MacBook Pro or an upgraded 13" MacBook Pro. With this said, If someone came up to you and offered you one for free which would you choose: a base model 15" MacBook Pro or an upgraded 13" MacBook Air?

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

It depends on what you do kid.

If you are wishing to do heavy work like video editing, photoshop, etc go for MBP.
    You can upgrade the inside on your own as well.

If you're just surfing the web, watching videos, go for the MBA.

Again, its what you do on it.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

That would never happen.

You really get like a $2000 present for a birthday? That's wild. Such a predicament you are in.

What will you even use it for? No information is given that will help us "help" you.

4. AppleBoyFreak thread starter macrumors 6502

The reason I'm getting a Mac is because it is my 16th birthday and I will be using it now and through out college. However, I have an IPad so I feel like I should get a less mobile and more powerful computer so Im leaning towards the 15" macBook pro and just keep it in my room

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Then get the MBP.
    Look, you just answered your own question.

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

So get that.

7. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

I just got a 15" MacBook pro and love it. I would definitely go for the 15" pro.

8. joshuaginter macrumors regular

I'll be that guy and tell you to get the 13" Air. The portability that you WILL need, dependent upon if you don't upgrade between now and entering post-secondary, is more important than power. Lugging a 15" laptop around for school is cumbersome and most classrooms which I encountered didn't have the desk space for a 15" laptop.

I should add that I tried an entire year with just an iPad for classes. While it excited many other students in class to watch someone typing on an iPad, it didn't nearly reach the potential of an 11" or 13" Air in the classroom.

Upgraded Air's can do A LOT more than the average person seems to think.

9. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

get a writing pen for the ipad and 15". I carried a 15" around high school for 4 years, so even if you did take that around it isnt that big of a deal.

Ive used the ipad with one of those special pens with a nub at the end last year. I went back to regular pen and paper for what its worth.

10. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

So you will be using this computer for six years or more? I would choose the 15"

11. jetlagged macrumors 6502

12. AppleBoyFreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it abnormal to get a $2,000 birthday present? I always thought you were suppose to get something big for you 16th birthday. (I'm not getting a car until 16.5 because that's when I can drive by myself.) Anyways, I don't feel bad because he, my dad, sees it as an investment for my future, I plan on going into the medical field, also everything in my signature I bought with my own money so its kinda like he's making up for all the money I spent on myself. Anyways, thanks everyone! After thinking and speaking with my father he wants me to get the 15" MacBook Pro because he doesn't believe that the updated air will have enough space for me, I plan on LOADING it with music. Anyways thanks again everyone!

13. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

The real world is going to eat you alive.

14. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

15. Blackberryroid, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

Blackberryroid macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

Guys, stop it. If someone gets a $2000 worth of a present, what's wrong? It's for educational use, anyway. They have the money, let them be.

You are acting like jealous Mac haters.

16. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It's just the way the thread is presented.

"If someone offered you one for free" ... really? It's like the kid doesn't even appreciate the gift, almost like it is expected as well by the later posts he/she made.

Choosing what is given to you as a gift. First world problems.

17. AppleBoyFreak thread starter macrumors 6502

I said for free because you're essentially getting it for no reason, just like me. I didn't want to say if you were getting one for school because then the obvious choice would be the 13 inch. I purposely said for free to see what others would want if they could afford it. To say that I dont appreciate this gift is a very rude thing to say. All I did was propose a question. How can you even gather enough information to infer that I was ungrateful? Truthfully I have been a Apple Fanboy since I got a 2nd gen iPod Nano for my 10th birthday and have earned every apple product since then so for my parent to actually buy me an apple product makes me very grateful. In fact I am so grateful that I have almost been hesitant just to tell my dad not to get me it because I don't want him to spend so much money on something I won't fully use for another few years. And you're last part, when have you not chosen what you got for a gift. When people ask you what you want do you honestly just say nothing and have them struggle to find a good gift for you? And I am a boy. Hence my username AppleBOYFreak. On the other hand thank you everyone for your help.