Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
For those who use their 15" MBP as their main/take everywhere machine how do you like it?

You get a great screen and lots of power with the 15", do you mind the extra size/weight that comes with it.

Would you buy 15" again or go 13" or even 17" instead.

dsprimal

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
For those who use their 15" MBP as their main/take everywhere machine how do you like it?

You get a great screen and lots of power with the 15", do you mind the extra size/weight that comes with it.

I have the 15" MacBook Pro and it feels perfect when it comes to portability. Sure it's not as portable as the 13" but for the boost of performance/screen quality, I think it is definitely worth getting the 15". It really isn't bad to carry around at all....unless you got twig arms and can't handle lugging around a slightly bigger/heavier laptop lol (not talking about you, just to others who have thought the 13" is the most portable, in which it is. But when it comes to the 15" its like a whole different story....common now, it's not that big of a gain.) As for the 17" thats a HELL NO, cause you can actually see and feel the weight in that colossal rig.
:apple:

MorganK

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Texas
I have a 15" now and love it. I downsized from a 17" (from 2006) that I took everywhere, so this feels SO much lighter. I think the 15" is a great size.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
If I could get the power of the 15" in a 13" I would go for the 13". I need power and the express card slot, so. I have to carry the 15 for now. I travel a lot with work and I always wish my laptop was smaller. I'm just afraid I have to get the 17" in the future as it's the only laptop left with the express card slot

if you don't travel a lot, then get the 15

shadygrove

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2010
The 15'' is perfect size for me. I had a 17'' PowerBook last time and thought the screen was too big. This machine is perfect balance of size, power, and mobility. I think my outdated laptop case is more of a pain to haul around than the computer.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
add another vote to 15"... they're just large enough that the screen is just right, while not being too big or unwieldy. It's just right.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I have the 15" and find it's size/weight to be perfect. It is the right balance between power and portability.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I have the 15" MBP with 1680x1050 pixel screen. I've only had my 15" for a week. I have had 2 different 13.3" Macs, so I can answer your question. If I was deciding between:

1. The 13" MBP and the 15" MBP with standard res screen, I'd choose the 13" MBP.

2. The 13" MBP and the 15" with higher resolution screen, I'd choose the 15" MBP.

3. The 13" MBP with a 1440x900 pixel screen, which doesn't exist yet, and any of the 15" MBPs, I'd get the 13".

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
The first MacBook I used was a 13" Unibody, lovely machine but a bit too small screen size for me. Went for the 15" because of a bigger screen and the 9600M and used to take it to work with me everyday, never had any issues with it weight or size wise. Was thinking of getting a 13" before the refresh if they hadn't released by the end of last month, thankfully they did and I had no hesitation getting another 15"

stillageek

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2010
My true definition of portability is...."can I open the computer in a coach seat on most US airlines even WITH the passenger in front of me leaning back.

13 inch and less...yes

14 inch screens...sometimes

15 inch and above....never.

Of course I travel a lot....

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
My true definition of portability is...."can I open the computer in a coach seat on most US airlines even WITH the passenger in front of me leaning back.

13 inch and less...yes

I'm sort of agreeing with this in principle.................. although I would never say 'never'. Perhaps, 'very unlikely' would be the descriptor I'd use when referring to the 15" for travel.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
The screen size of the 15" is very convenient if you do work with many apps or windows open at the same time. Either 13" or 15" can be connected to an external display so if portability is something you do care the 13" will be a little lighter to handle.
I have used both form factors and 15" is OK and 13" feels perfect.
It is up to you, power, video resolution, ports, etc.

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
15" for me is great for a balance - but it is not my take anywhere machine.

Have an 11.6" netbook+ for that... a market Apple doesn't cater for. No - its not replaceable with an iPad.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
Many many times I see people who bought the 13" regretting it. I have used them in the past and you always feel a little claustrophobic and always feels like a compromise for when you can't use a "real" computer. Unless you really, really need portability and use a desktop machine at home then go for 15".

If you want a desktop you can shove in a bag get the 17". Its still fits in a 15" laptop bag and the screen is huge. (I'm going for a 17" next time. Have a look in the apple store and drool).

SonicEarth

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
I've got a 17" and it's pretty portable. It really just depends on how often you'll be moving around.

vasuba

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
Size wise the 15" is really the optimal portability. Its only 1.5" wider than the 13" and depth less than an inch larger.

For that extra inch and a half though you get alot more power under the hood which in turn means the laptop itself will have a longer period of usefulness as demands on hardware continue to increase.

Mirabella

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010

13 inch and less...yes

It seems odd to me to say you can never open a 15" and above MBP in a coach seat on a plane, with the passenger in front of you leaning back. I have opened my 17" MBP in coach on a plane, even with the passenger in front of me leaning back, many times. I can do so with no trouble at all.

I agree with coolbreeze and SonicEarth, the 17" is plenty portable. I used to use a 15" Powerbook, and I had no loss of portability when I switched to a 17" MacBook Pro.

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008

15" is definitely the sweet spot. Coming from a MacBook (Couldn't stand the ugly Glossly display and low 1280x800 resolution); I find the extra weight to be negligible, almost unnoticeable - and I carry this thing around (with charger to) in my backpack 4 days of the week.

Don't find 15" to be any harder to carry around than the 13" MacBook I used to have; If anything it's easier, since the 15" fits perfectly in the laptop slot in my backpack (the MB would move around due to the extra 2" or so in the slot, making it a tad annoying to carry around).

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
15" is a little too big in my opinion, but since Apple keeps dumbing down the 13" models (low resolution, only glossy, old CPU, integrated graphics, etc), I don't have much choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.