15" MacBook Pro Power Cables?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ray&Paula, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Ray&Paula macrumors regular

I need to make sure I get the "correct power cables" for the 2016 15" MacBook Pro w/ Retina/Touchbar? If you have any part numbers and or suggestions, please let me know. Thanks, Ray
    1) Power Adapter Extension Cable
    2) Alternative to Apples MagSafe power cable?

2. IceBreakerG macrumors member

If you're in the US, it's the exact same power cable extension from the previous models. The only thing that changed was the "power brick".

3. Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help.... Yes I'm in the USA. Thanks again. Ray

4. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

https://griffintechnology.com/intl/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable

Griffin makes this as an alternative to MagSafe, but the current model can only provide 60W of power and not the 87W the 15" requires so it will charge a bit slower. I imagine they'll come out with an updated one for the 15" at some point.

There's also a Kickstarter alternative that lists support for up to 87W, but it's not coming out until January: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/436147229/snapnator-your-macbook-snap-feature-is-back

5. Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

Looks promising..... Thanks for the info and the links. Anyone have the part number for the 2016 15" MacBook Pro power extension? There are a lot out there which seems to be a little confising. Thanks again. Ray

6. IceBreakerG macrumors member

This is the only power extension cable Apple has available. The part number is MK122LL.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK122LL/A/power-adapter-extension-cable

I believe it will also work with the ipad charger too. I have both my mbp and ipad here at work, and the plug looks to be identical. So if you have a previous model mbp, the power extension from that will work with the new one.

7. Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you..... Ray

8. The Pumpkin King macrumors newbie

Were you able to use that power extension cable with the 87w power adapter? I want to get one but since the 87w isn't listed on the product page I wasn't sure if it would work.

9. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

The extension will work with the 87W just fine. The page just hasn't been updated yet.

10. The Pumpkin King macrumors newbie

Thanks. I chatted with an Apple rep and they said no since the page didn't list it, so I just wanted to be sure as this is my first Mac.

11. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

I have the one Apple sells online, works perfectly fine with my 87w charger. Silly Apple reps.

12. Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

Good to know, I have a cable on the way...... Thanks. Ray