15" Macbook Pro Retina 2015 or 2016

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by salmankhan, Feb 23, 2016.

  1. salmankhan macrumors member

    salmankhan

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2013
    #1
    Well as the title of the thread speaks it all i am in need of a Macbook Pro 15inch.
    The only dilemma i am facing is that should i buy the current Haswell model or should i wait for few more months to buy the latest 2016 skylakes one.
    Suggestions would be much much appreciated by my fellow members
    Thanks.
     
  2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #2
    If you need it now buy now, if you can wait then wait.
     
  3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

    T'hain Esh Kelch

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2001
    Location:
    Denmark
    #3
    Since you give us absolutely no reasons as to why you should pick one over the other, I suggest you wait for the 2018 model.
     
  4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

    keysofanxiety

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2011
    #4
    No way, the 2018 is only going to be an incremental upgrade with a modest price drop. The 2020 model is where it's at.
     
  5. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #5
    Wait, you'll be better off. As noted, buy when you can no longer wait for a new one.
     
  6. Ovedius macrumors 6502

    Ovedius

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2012
    Location:
    Norway
    #6
    Well, as always around here:
    It depends.

    Do you need it now? Buy it.

    Are you planning on buying the dGPU model?
    Consider waiting, not necessarily, but consider it.
    The current dGPU has a slight issue with throttling under stress/heat.
    But you might not be bothered by that if you don't intend to play games on it.
    But they might not even change it...which would be, frankly, saddening.

    Skylake might, most likely, bring about a slight increase in battery life and performance over the current model.
    The biggest gains are expected to benefit the iGPU, with a speculated increase in power of around 40%.

    There might be a redesign.
    Could be neat, could not.
    -could be some slight teething problems considering that it will be the first iteration of a new design, but who knows.

    Personally I'm waiting for either a Skylake-bumped 13" or 15". But i don't need a machine now.
     
  7. salmankhan thread starter macrumors member

    salmankhan

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2013
    #7
    Well thanks for the input guys.
    and yes sorry my bad that i didnt mention my needs and the current circumstances
    I am not a heavy user mostly i will be using the macbook pro for surfing and slight gaming.
    dGPU i am not interested in that nor i have the need for it.
    and regarding CPU i dont know how much of an upgrade skylake will be over haswell battery wise on a 15inch pro.
    also is there any chance that the pro will be redesigned and available in new colors. because if i buy the current model and then Voila apple jus releases the new redesigned pros with new color options n new ports.
    anyways thats what irking me to wait and at the same time pushing me to jus buy the current base model
     
  8. Ovedius macrumors 6502

    Ovedius

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2012
    Location:
    Norway
    #8
    Then give the dGPU a wide birth.
    Just another potential hardware fault to worry about ;)


    Nobody knows but Apple.
    We literally know nothing right now, it's all speculation.
     
  9. salmankhan thread starter macrumors member

    salmankhan

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2013
    #9
    Thanks alot mate for your input.
    yes i am staying away from the dGPU one as gaming i hardly do for that i have a ps4 and 6s plus.
    Like i said earlier i have concerns over the redesign and addition of maybe USB-C port and regarding color options its jus a secondary thought. it doesnt matter.

    but at the sametime i dont have a laptop and i am in need of one
     

Share This Page