15" Macbook Pro Retina Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrmarts, Sep 25, 2013.

1. mrmarts macrumors 65816

Hey Guys

I own a 15" 2012 retina macbook pro, and recently when closing a game i have been hearing this crackling sound, it does not stay for long (until the fans wind down i think). At first i thought it was speakers but the speakers are working fine for movies and music. Should i be concerned about this, FYI the macbook is out of warranty.

2. ltorrelles macrumors newbie

ltorrelles

I also hear the fans doing this, specially when carrying it around and putting it in positions it's not supposed to be (ie vertically). I believe it's the fans "touching" or hitting the walls of its encapsulating field.

I personally wouldn't bother unless the temperatures aren't acceptable or the noise is really disturbing.

3. mrmarts, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

mrmarts thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the feedback, just to let you know the macbook is always on a flat surface a glass desk. Anyone else experiencing this problem is this common?

4. mrmarts, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

Hey Guys

I am still living with the issue of my Macbook retina making several sporadic popping sounds after closing a game. I recently discovered that if i quit a game straight away without letting the fans to kick in the noise is absent so I doubt its the speakers as they seem to be working well and quiet.

Here comes my dilemma I do not want to take my macbook pro for repairs as I am scared they will damage it or make the problem worse.

The popping sound is faint only happening after a exiting game when the fans wind down, apart from that the macbook is running fine. FYI when on the desktop with several apps open safari, word and iTunes my temperature is at a moderate 39 to 43 degrees, while playing a movie on iTunes the temperature goes up to 54 to 60 degrees with the same apps open. I have yet to check the temperature after playing hours with it. Any thoughts on what i should do or if this is common for MacBooks.

5. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

it must be your fans thats as per what you said it slows down and it happens you can use smc fan control get the fans to the highest and lower them to the minimum and see if the noise re-appears

6. mrmarts, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

Firstly thank you for the nice freemium app, I needed something to monitor the temperature as istat's trial is ending. According to SMC my fans are already set to minimum speed by default. Therefore based on what i told you should i be concerned or is it just one of those things that comes with a computer when you buy it.

7. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

well if it is not affecting the performance or usability you can just continue using it and in case you have any other faults you need fixed by apple have them look at it then. If however the noise gets worse or you experience over heating symptoms get it looked at.