15" MacBook Pro Retina Trackpad Failure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maelstrom65, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Maelstrom65 macrumors newbie

Hey all :) I just purchased a brand new MBPR and got it loaded with 768Gb SSD and 16Gb RAM. It arrived Thursday and I spent the first night re-downloading all my software from the cloud and setting everything up the way I had it on my previous MBP 17". I was pleased as punch once everything was good to go and I shut the computer down for the night.

The next day I was trying to show my son the new computer when I noticed my trackpad was no longer registering clicks. I hooked up a USB mouse and saw that it only registered right clicks. Left clicks did nothing. I did some searching on various forums and people suggested doing an SMC. It seems the general consensus is that it has something to do with the battery expanding in the case and pushing on the bottom of the trackpad. I did the SMC but it had no effect. Eventually, I called Apple Support and the gentleman on the other end stepped me through some things (another SMC being one of them) and the end result was, that I had to return the computer.

Needless to say, I was pretty disappointed. This is the first real problem I've ever run into with an Apple Product. I've owned an iPhone 3, iPhone 4, iPad 2, 17" G4 Powerbook, 17" MacBook Pro and finally the 15" Macbook Pro Retina.

Has anyone else out there experienced this trackpad failure? Just trying to get a feel for how common this problem is. I've ordered another MBPR and am waiting for it to arrive with some trepidation that this problem will reoccur at some point.

Cheers

2. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

Sorry for your broken device.

But you could always use the search function. It's really good!

3. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

I feel like I just read about a similar issue and all of the components sans the hard drive were replaced upon repair. Anyway, this stuff happens. Apple will take care of it for you.