15" Macbook Pro screw lost

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by calvy, Sep 14, 2010.

1. calvy macrumors 65816

I've got a 2 or 3 month old 15" Macbook Pro i7 Antiglare Hi res, and one of the screws on the bottom of the case has fallen out. I have the screw, but can't get it to catch back inside the case to set back down. I'm not sure what to do. Will Apple do anything for me? Will they just glue it in or something?

2. Lyshen macrumors 6502

I'd guess that one of them got stripped.

Question is, did you try opening it or it literally just fell out on its own?

From my experience, they seem to be easy to strip if too much force used...

3. calvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Honestly, I took it out to put an SSD drive in, and was never able to get it back in. I'm no idiot, I've taken apart many laptops, many Macbook Pros, and lots of other things. I can't imagine I did something wrong, but this screw would not go back in. The thing is, if I screw the screw into the hole with the back plate in place, it catches and screws in fine. It's like the screw is just not long enough.

And let me stop you on that thought right there. It is the right screw. I label each screw when i take it out to make sure they all go back into the right spot.

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I've got sorta the same "issue" when put it back together after upgrading to 8GB ram one of the screws wont really fit anymore, kinda sticks out a bit.

5. Lyshen macrumors 6502

It's possible the very outer edge of the hole is stripped.

Hmm, think some form of thread seal would help? Some of the screws have that blue thread seal stuff on it.

May make it easier to catch...

Another possibility, screw broke? But you'd know that from looking at the screw.

Alternatively, try swapping screws with another one? From what I remember of taking apart my 2010 MBP 15", they always use more than one of each screw type.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I had a screw fall out before; they fixed it for me by giving me a new screw.

7. ljx718 macrumors 6502

honestly, it would happen to me all the time on my 15 in, to the one nearest to the charger. it would drive me insane thinking it would get loose in the case and scratch the bottom. i decided to just leave it off.

8. freddyfingers macrumors member

Only thing I can think of is to double check and make sure one of the long screws isn't in one of the short screw holes. Just take out those 3 screws at the top right aside from that I'd have no idea why a screw would fall out.

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/64QXwTAEZHtqrKqP.medium

Quite honestly it seems it would be really hard to strip out the hole it goes into. Even if you had no experience at all you'd end up stripping out the screw head before the hole I'd think.

9. calvy thread starter macrumors 65816

well I took it in and they are ordering parts to replace the part the screw grabs into. It says something about the Camera cable bracket on the repair sheet. Also getting my trackpad replaced. Which I'm a little confused about. Not sure how they replace the trackpad, I thought it was attached to the case.