15" macbook pro stuck running discrete card

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by varsis, Jul 18, 2015.

1. varsis macrumors regular

So lately I have noticed when on battery my laptop runs the discrete card... I am running gfxCardStatus latest version. Not sure if it's telling me the wrong one, or if the computer is running it. Any ideas why this would occur? I have dynamic switching enabled. It did freeze up recently and I am still convinced there is a gpu issue of some sort, "Apple couldn't find any"

2. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Really easy way to tell if that is correct or not is go to About this Mac in the Apple menu. Where is says what graphics card you have will actually change depending on what its using at that time. So if it shows you dGPU then that's what is currently running.

3. TheIguana, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015

TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

gfxCardStatus lists any dependencies that are presently requiring the dedicated graphics card. Click the icon in the menu bar and see what it is.

Just to nip this one early: If you are running an external display on a Mac with two graphics cards the dedicated one will always be enabled and running when the display is connected. The dedicated card is the only one that can provide a signal to the external display.

4. varsis thread starter macrumors regular

Ah thats exactly what it was, some image conversion services. Hopefully that doesn't run all of the time....