15" MacBook Pro update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nostromo, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

The macrumors buyer's guide lists the MBP as a "buy only if you need it".

This article sets the release date of Ivy Bridge for March 2012:

http://www.infotechblogs.com/2011/06/intel-ivy-bridge-release-date-in-march.html

Mass production, so the article, will start in November 2011.

So, if a new release date of the MBP would be March or April, the "buy now only if you need it warning" would be a bit early. After all, that would mean another 7 to 8 months.

I'm in the market for a 15" MBP, but if an update would come out in November... this would be unpleasant as there might be serious updates coming, including the case redesign...

2. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Yea, I was in your shoes last year about this time, there was rumors last year there would be an update in Nov, so i waited, Nov passed, Dec passed,Jan passed, and they were finally released a few days shy of March.

IMO buy one now..

3. creationtwenty2 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you like the current design, and you want an upgrade now, then go for it. I seriously doubt we'll see a refresh before March '12.

For the record, I just picked up the upper spec 15" yesterday (my 7th Mac notebook in my years as a Mac user) and it's mind blowing.

I can't see myself needing to upgrade for at least a few years now, even if they do up the spec next year, its unlikely to be enough to warrant another upgrade.

4. Liquinn Suspended

I'm gonna be waiting 8 months for that then, it should be worth it :)

5. Nostromo thread starter macrumors 65816

Nostromo

And I guess you can always upgrade it significantly with a new SSD, once they come out in price.

I wonder if the current 15" MBP will be able to work with the new 6 GBs SSDs that started to crop up.