15" MacBook Pro - When will the new one come?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bmh16, Apr 10, 2009.

1. bmh16 macrumors regular

I really want to be able to get a 15 inch MBP soon (when i can afford it) which will be in about 3-6 months. Will the MB Pro updates be around that time and what do you think will be seen in the next MB Pro? Will the battery life be improved to match the current 17 inch battery life or what do you think? Thanks :)

2. Dreamail macrumors 6502

October - November 2009

Latest rumors suggest October or November will see a refresh. I'd bet November.
    Which is quite likely for two reasons:
    Intel should have the first Nehalem mobile processors available around that time.
    And Apple very often refreshed its laptops just after the back-to-school yet before the Christmas buying season.

Of course Intel's CPUs could be delayed, and past Apple updates are no guarantee for future ones.

Apple might move the 17" MBP's battery into its mainstream 15" model, but only if it performed flawlessly in the 17" meanwhile.

Also if Snow Leopard offers Blu-Ray support, there might be a built-to-order Blu-Ray drive option.

And maybe they'll upgrade the GPU to a 9500M or later.

I wouldn't count on the max RAM to go beyond 8GB nor would I count on a higher screen resolution.

If you can wait 6 months, wait. Otherwise buy now. They will not be coming in 3 months.

3. brent0saurus macrumors regular

brent0saurus

when in doubt, check the macrumors buyer's guide!

according to it, the MBPs are mid cycle so it's not a bad time to buy, just not the best time either (best being as soon as it was released).

Another thing to consider is apple just came out with these unibody macbooks. Totally new design = possible future failures and issues. It's generally better to wait until apple comes out with a few revisions so they iron out all the little inconsistencies.
    but that's obviously easier said than done ;)

4. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Likely, with the Penryn speed bumps and other improvements. In the next few months is my guess.

I see the 17"'s battery technology moving to the 15" soon.

5. rawdawg macrumors 6502

Will Nehalem destroy current models

I have a Dual 1.25 G4 FW800.... it's very old. I really need a new mac and need portability.

I'm really worried about hearing the new architecture changing coming at the end of the year.

Do you feel the Nehalem MBPs will be such a leap ahead in performance that I should not spend the $2500 on a current model? Should I buy a used older MBP and then update when need be?

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

The new 15" Macbook Pro will come out Tuesday, April 28, 2009. I have foreseen the future.

7. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Are you able to wait until H1 2010? Clarksfield probably won't go in the Apple laptops. Arrandale will, though.

8. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

The sad thing is, if I had a time machine, I'd go to the future and hit Apple.com and come back and look like a genius with my hand on the pulse of Apple........

9. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

What kind of nonsense is this 17" batteries to 15" "prediction" stuff?

There is no predicting here, it will happen, full stop.

Apple does not want you fooling around with batteries.

Eventually, the rest of the industry will follow suit and a decade from now, the entire concept of changing out batteries on consumer devices will be so outmoded that people will have forgotten that it was innovative in the first place.

10. indiecraig macrumors member

The Macbook Pro is 10 days from it's average update time. It should be in the "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle" phase, but it's not. You should wait. I am waiting. It should be a relatively minor update, with a larger update coming near the end of the year.

11. DYER macrumors 6502

indeed and if battery tech has not advanced enough by then they will introduce changing batteries as a *new* feature ^^

12. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

If you can wait, wait. If you cannot wait, do not wait. The question is: What will you be doing on this laptop?

13. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

Get a new machine with snow leopard.

Might as well wait for that.