15" Macbook Pros- 2015 vs 2016 Performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Khabbi, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Khabbi macrumors member

After the release of the 2016's, I am heavily considering the 2015 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz Spec machine (currently available on Amazon for $2299). But I am torn with missing out on the newer 2016 touchbar machine with the upgrades (although I hate the fact that I would have to carry adapters). The 2016 I would buy is the touchbar 2.6GHz w/256gb Storage, $2399 from the Apple store.

Will I be missing out on very much performance if I buy the 2015? I can live w/o the touchbar, the screen being brighter doesn't bother me, and the on-board connections and magsafe on the 2015 have me drawn in that direction. Am I crazy or ?

Looking for opinions before I buy... I am almost ready to buy the 2015 but don't want to commit until I am 100% sure. I've never had a brand new model staring me in the face and thought I should buy the older one!

2. uecker87 macrumors newbie

I ended up buying the 2.7/512/455 yesterday and I am already thinking that I will probably return it and go with one of the 2015 15" models (maybe even the 2.2/256 model for $1,799 at B and H and Amazon). Definitely strange for me to want to go with an older model too but I'll just wait a year or two to pick up a new Pro when USB-C takes hold.

Tough choice. Good luck with your decision, ha.

3. J D A macrumors member

J D A

Was wanting to pick up the 2.9/1TB/460 modern but after seeing benchmarks and the price just went with the 2.5/512 model and still wait for the second revision

4. Skika macrumors 68030

No.

5. leman macrumors 604

The performance differences are negligible.

6. potdude macrumors member

You are not crazy! The only thing that's crazy is the greed of Apple in setting the prices of the next generation of macbook pros higher than the cost of the previous generation, and then keeping those prices the same.

I've already went through the same thought process as you and I decided to buy the same 2015 machine that you're now considering, which is a decision that you can't go wrong with unless you really want the latest fad!

7. Uplift macrumors 6502

How come when Apple didn't announce new Macbook Pro's at WWDC everyone was complaining that they left us even longer with ****** Haswell CPU's.. Everyone was waiting for Skylake, so much efficient power, improved GPU, much better battery life.

I know the better battery life didn't materialise, but now it's here, why is it so bad? now it's rubbish and everyones waiting for SomethingElseLake, surely when the next generation comes along you will be waiting for the next?

8. dk808 macrumors 6502a

The 2016 is faster, but not by much. But its only $100 extra for you so i would get it unless you can find a better deal for the 2015 model. I think there should be some sales coming soon for it

9. Jaekae macrumors 6502

The 2016 have better performance on GPU and SSD and memory speed about same on the CPU, better colors on screen and better brightness. It has more versatile and faster in/out system (but you may need dongles for your old equipment) also its a bit smaller and lighter.
    It has different keyboard that some think are better but some think are worse.

So if nothing of those things matters or if you are scared of dongles you can get a 2015, but personally i would get 2016 since i did that

10. Uplift macrumors 6502

Exactly, it's blatantly clear that it's a superior machine to the 2015... it's not light years ahead, but it is a better machine.

If you always wait for the latest and greatest, you'll be waiting forever.

People think as soon as it's not the latest it's rubbish, these machines should be able to last you 4-5 years and still be incredibly fast and capable allowing fair resale value.

11. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Frankly these machines ought to last 5-7 years. My precious MBP did without issue!

12. swingandamiss macrumors member

swingandamiss

I bought one in early 2015 which I ended up giving to my gf when her HP packed up in July this year. No noticeable performance differences. Obviously it depends on the price of each but bear in mind the resale value of the '16 will be higher.

13. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

14. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

15. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

I think it was more due to the length of time since there was an update. Now that it's here, the new design has some very polarizing choices that many aren't happy about. It's not a simple disappointment it doesn't have Kaby Lake.