15" MBP 2.4 vs 13" MBP 2.26

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BAP, Aug 10, 2009.

1. BAP macrumors newbie

I have an opportunity to purchase an open box 15" UMBP 2.4 from a local best buy for $1000. All parts are there. I was looking for the 13" size based on some travel that I do, but this price is pretty good. I am on the road a a few days per month. My ThinkPad is a 14".

Any comments on this opportunity. I will be using this computer for general office tasks, web, and Adobe Illustrator (Not a heavy user).

Thanks,

BAP

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'd check the warranty info on the 15". In general that is the machine that I would prefer, but you know much better then anyone else on here what screen size would be preferable.

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

If you don't need the extra battery life that the 13" model has to offer, the 15" is overall a more powerful and more pleasurable machine to use on a day-to-day basis. The extra resolution and screen size is much more pleasing to the eye. I've also heard of one case where someone called Apple, and the warranty date was reset to the date of purchase, also for an open-box laptop from Best Buy if I remember correctly, so do check with Apple if you decide to buy it.

4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

That's a tough choice. Personally I'd go with the 13" 2.26. Just got rid of a 15" 2.4 and find the SD a treat. Never did use the expresscard the whole time I had it. I like portability and it's the closest I've seen to the 12" PB yet.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

If you find the SD card slot a treat then you should/could have just installed a $20 card-reader in your 15" MBP's ExpressCard slot. I will admit that the 13" does feel a lot smaller in-hand than the 15", however.

6. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I would go 13". I just really don't like screens over 14" since I carry my Macbook Pro everywhere with me and to all my classes.

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I travel A LOT. I always wanted a 12" PB replacement, the 13 MBP fits the bill. I've got a drawer full of doo-dads that I know an expresscard reader would have wound up in. Also have a 24" display at my desk so portability is king.;)

8. klee1987 macrumors regular

$1000 is very good value for money, you can't even buy the 13 inch at that price. I would check first though:

1) Warranty on the machine
    2) Damage on the machine

You get a shorter battery life but it is still quite reasonable......and you get that expresscard slots which is arguably more useful + expandable than the SD slot

Actually you should check the price for a second hand 15" machine with the same specs. you may be able to sell it for a nice profit :)