15" MBP (2011) or 13" MBA (2012)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattdo93, Jun 23, 2012.

1. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Hi guys, as the title says, what do you think is better for a college student to have? Right now I have the late 2011 15" MBP, but with the new processors in the Mac family this year I am thinking of switching to a 13" MBA. Suggestions? :)

2. Zwikker macrumors regular

Zwikker

I can't see any reason why anybody would want to change a 2011 mbp to 2012 mba. To me, it sounds like a horrible idea unless you want lighter and smaller computer.

3. jmdMac macrumors regular

Need a little more specifics than that. What do you do in college? Are you currently doing anything that would be bottlenecking the CPU while not the GPU? The ONLY reason I could see you switching would be for more portability.

Personally I say stick with your 15" 2011.
    My 15" 2010 got me through my last two years of college running 3d design and engineering simulation programs with no problem. Also, the extra 2" of screen real-estate really does make a difference.
    Also getting a 13" 2012 means you would be giving up a dedicated GPU...if anything is going to be struggling to keep up it's going to be the GPU not CPU.

I'm sure many others here will agree with my post.
    Good luck