15" MBP buying advice :)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by forgetaboutpro, Jun 23, 2009.

1. forgetaboutpro macrumors member

I'm not sure if someone has already posted a similar question but I tried searching and found nothing, so here goes...

I currently own a 2ghz Core duo MBP, and use it predominantly with adobe cs3 (I am a graphic designer) and lightroom (and am a keen photographer too). I do lots of heavy photoshop work so could really benefit from the added speed of a new machine. I've upgraded my current MBP as far as it can go, swapped out the drive to a 320gb 7200 rpm drive and have 2gb of ram in it - so there is not really much more i can do.

I have been following this site for years, reading the rumors and closely watching the buyers guide etc. but have now reached a point where as I'm unsure in there being any point in waiting any longer. My two main questions/reservations are:

1. Will the arrandale processors make a massive difference in speed performance or will they just be more power efficient? If it is power then i'm not that concerned.

2. I would love it if they offered the 15inch with antiglare screen coating - do you think there is any likelihood of this happening in the near future?

I realise the second question is completely up for speculation but i've thought it over 100 times in my head and a little external advice would be much appreciated!

Oh, and the new MBP I'm looking to purchase is the 2.8ghz model - obviously this will be an improvement over my current machine but how much better is it likely to get with the addition of an arrandale processor?

I know this is all up to opinion but thats what I'm looking for! I can wait but am getting a bit bored of waiting too :)

Thanks guys, phil

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Yes, Arrandales will be a lot faster

2. It's possible, but unlikely. Glossy isn't so bad

Current MBPs are very fast but if you can wait, wait.

3. forgetaboutpro thread starter macrumors member

Do you think we'll see them (arrandales) for the end of year refresh?

Thanks

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Arrandales are scheduled to come in early 2010 so it's very unlikely. Of course Apple got Nehalems earlier so it's possible.

5. forgetaboutpro thread starter macrumors member

I think i'll wait then... I know I'll kick myself if i dont :)

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

At the very least, wait until snow leopard is released, and then post a question in the mac pro section asking if those guys-or gals-notice a difference running your program with their four and eight core machines.

If their answer is heck yes, wait for the new chips. If the consensus is ehh, there's no need to wait.

When they released the latest refresh of the mac pros, macworld reported the quad was quicker for general computing than the octo. Apparently, the octo was most effective using programs that were optimized to run on multiple cores like FCP.

The unknown variables are if SL will be able to take full advantage of multiple cores and GPUs as is rumored, and whether CS will be able to do the same.

7. Smacky macrumors 6502

MBPs have Nehalems? Well thats news to me
    Apple arent exactly early adopters when it comes to the laptop range

8. forgetaboutpro thread starter macrumors member

Well they will do in the not so distant future.

Good advice. The performance gains might be so minimal that there'd be no point in waiting.. Thanks

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Not yet. Laptops are likely to get an update before end of the year so mobile Nehalems may be used in high-end MBPs.