15" MBP config. options for college student

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nehas91, Jun 10, 2009.

1. nehas91 macrumors member

Hi everyone, I'm going to be a first time apple buyer soon but I need some assistance in deciding which configuration of MBP to buy.
    I'll be heading off to UC Davis soon so I need a laptop that will be good for around 4-5 years so I decided to go with an apple product.

I'll mostly be using the laptop for college use, writing papers, listening to music, and some photoshop/other multimedia use about 2-3 times a week and maybe also for playing games during the weekends.I have a few questions though before I buy. My major/minor is going to be Biological Science/Photography if that makes a difference.

1. Should I go for the 2.8 or 3.06 GHz processor? Is there much difference between the two? Will it better to get the 3.06 one since I plan on using it for the next 4-5 years?

2. Is the 4gb memory enough or will I need the 8gb?

3. Which is the best harddrive to get? I am so lost in this area.
    I've heard people say that SSD were good and I was leaning toward the 256 gig one but should I just get the 500gb one right now and upgrade to ssd later on?
    Or should I go for the 128gb ssd and get an external drive for backup?

Also what is the difference between the 500gb @ 5400 rpm and 500gb @ 7200 rpm?

all advice will be greatly appreciated. =)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The difference between 2.8 and 3.06 GHz is unnoticeable.

4 should be fine. You can upgrade later if you want/need.

SSDs are great if you can afford them.

The 7200 rpm is faster. The difference is noticeable.

3. cujoca macrumors regular

i'm in the same bat with buying a 15" MBP, but i'm still wondering if it's WORTH IT to get the 7200 over the 5400 500 GB HD. I'm sure it's noticeable, but would you guys recommend it for the average joe like me? I just don't want to lose any extra battery life because of its and etc.

4. relativist macrumors regular

What I'm doing is using a white nVidia Macbook till the next generation after core2Duo of Intel CPU's are released, hopefully by next year, then I will be getting a MBP for long term, like yourself. If you can get buy using a 13" for a year or so, I recommend it. You could even get the low end new MBP. I'll be selling my MB when I upgrade.

5. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

If you can afford it get the ssd , not only is it way faster than hdd theres no moving parts meaning your ssd can last along time

6. nehas91 thread starter macrumors member

I don't think I can afford the SSD right now so would it be better to get the 320gb @ 7200rpm and upgrade that with the better intel SSD's when they come out later this year?