15" mbp early 2008 vs 13" mbp 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by heyheyyy, Jun 4, 2010.

  1. heyheyyy macrumors newbie

    Jun 4, 2010
    long time looker first time poseter
    i have a early 08 mbp 2.4ghz
    i do alot of photo and video editing and gaming thru steam
    i was looking to upgrade but am also on a budget is the 13" similar?
    both use intel core 2 duo chips which im not thrilled bout
    but with the 320 videocard does it see speed boosts over the 8600m gt one i have?
    is it worth it too sell the 15" mbp asap because of the failing graphics card?

    thanx a bunch :)
  2. Cool Runnings macrumors regular

    Feb 24, 2010
    No, there is similar performance, so it's no upgrade.

    And the failing 8600m GT is under warranty so IF it brakes the exchange it. And with luck you can get a new MBP instead of repair it seams if you pull the right strings with apple.

    If you had thought of the 15" with I5/i7 then i had recommended it because of the better performance
  3. heyheyyy thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 4, 2010
    even if my repairs and service coverage has expired? itll still cover the 8600 failing?
  4. Celedral macrumors 6502


    May 29, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I played it safe, Sold my 08 Penryn MBP and is about to get a 13" or 15". Im leaning towards the 13" so i could spend the extra money on a IPS monitor and accessories. Remember that apple only covers the GFX chip 3 years from the date of purchase. I say sell it, even if your getting similar performance you are still getting a better machine, DDR3, Better Battery life, 1066 FSB, and newer logic board, Unibody enclosure, Better Resale Value. ETC you get the idea
  5. machspeed5 macrumors member

    Feb 11, 2008
    sell your 15" MBP. If your GPU fails like mine did, the entire logic board failed which apple says is NOT covered under warranty.

    Sell it. BTW the warranty on the GPU is extended to three years from date of purchase.
  6. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

    Jan 23, 2005
    How could the logic board not be covered by warranty?

    Also, is there actually any difference between a 2.4 GHz 2008 MBP and a 2.4 GHz 2010 13" MBP? Besides faster RAM, is anything else different?
  7. machspeed5 macrumors member

    Feb 11, 2008
    my MBP was out of the 1 year warranty but within the three year warranty on the GPU.
  8. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

    May 15, 2007
    The GPU is soldered to the logic board... unless there was something besides the GPU frying... like obvious water damage of that sort... then there shouldn't be much of a reason Apple should split hairs between the GPU and the entire logic board.
  9. colonelsanders macrumors member

    Jul 11, 2008
    SLC, Utah
    Yes, there are a few differences that have been missed.
    The 2008MPB has FW 400 as well as FW 800, it has the Expresscard/34, it has DVI out, different keyboard (i think it's better), it has dedicated video memory, and it has better screen resolution (glossy was optional back then, not standard).

    On the other hand the MBP 13inch is expandable to 8gigs of ram, the mini displayport is said to be able to pass through audio, the glass trackpad rocks, and the unibody design is a heck of a lot more rugged than the early 2008 MBP.

    My opinion:
    I had the early 2008 MBP with the 8600 and it did fail. In fact, it failed twice and the second time Apple upgraded me to the new (at that time) unibody MBP.

    I am pretty sure i got lucky when they gave me a new MBP Unibody when my MBP 8600 died. Having said that i'm not convinced that if your 8600 does die that you won't get jerked around. Nothing against Apple, I just think there is too much variation in the quality of service. Too much seems to depend on the technician you get, their mood and the store manager. Having said that, I know I am more risk averse and would start looking for a solution before I am forced to find one.

    My solution to your situation would be:
    If i were you and you couldn't afford a new 15inch MPB:
    I would look for a late 2008 unibody at roughly the same price point (or less) as a new 13inch MBP.

    This is why i would look for a late 2008 MBP over a new 13inch MBP.
    1) Expresscard/34 (great for esata cards)
    2) The 9600/9400 (which is still better than the 320 found in the 13 MBP).
    3) Better Screen resolution
    4) Bigger Screen (better for photos and games)
    5) Dedicated Video Memory

    The major down side of this strategy is that you would be buying a used computer and the ram is limited to 6 gigs rather than 8 gigs.

    Does this help? I hope it doesn't just muddy the water.

    ~ Curt
  10. ouimetnick macrumors 68020


    Aug 28, 2008
    Beverly, Massachusetts
    As long as your current 2008 MBP is fine, I would wait. Sandy bridge will ship in 2011, and then there will be a good reason to upgrade. Also, the 24. GHz C2D in your 08 MBP is slower than the mid 2010 2.4GHz MBP. The old 08 one has a 800 MHz FSB, and the new one has a 1066 MHz FSB. Also, the 13" has better battery life, more RAM and expandable to 8GB. But still if you have an 08 MBP, why spend $1199+ if your old one is still fine? You won't notice much of a performance boost anyways? Unless you compare your MBP to a 15" MBP with a i5 or i7. If you are going 13" I would wait.
  11. colonelsanders macrumors member

    Jul 11, 2008
    SLC, Utah
    So if you don't mind me asking what did you decide to do? Or are you still in working it out?
  12. heyheyyy thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 4, 2010
    im dying here ive been going back and forth
    but leaning toward 13" upgrade
    i just wish i had the money for a 15"
    im tryin to see how big of a jump the 15' is from the 13" in terms of power
  13. colonelsanders macrumors member

    Jul 11, 2008
    SLC, Utah
    Are you a student or do you have access to student pricing? If so then you can do what i did last year. Buy the MBP at the discount price, get the ipod touch with the mail in rebate then sell the ipod touch. It's like getting an additional $200 off the laptop.

    Another option would be the refurb route. The 15inch refurbs with the c2d & 9400+9600 start at $1529. I know that's still $330 more than the $1,1999 13inch MB but IMHO it's worth it. You could also wait and see if the refurb MBP 15inch i5 comes down from $1,699.

    I don't know how you deal with the evil temptation that is the Apple Store, but the best thing you can do is go in and play with the 13inch and then play with the 15inch i5. You'll be sold on the i5 in no time. It really is night and day compared to the 13 inch. You can look at benchmarks all day long but the reality is "the way you use the laptop" is the only benchmark that really matters.

    If you're paying more than $1,000 for any laptop you better make sure you're going to get something that will last. The C2D just shouldn't be priced the way it is. It's old tech priced at a premium and in my mind that's highway robbery...

    If you really feel the need to get out of your 8600 and can't get into a comparable 15inch then I would start saving and when you can afford an i5 then make the upgrade. Seeing as you haven't had any problems with your 8600 chances are that it will last until you can afford something new.

Share This Page