15" MBP for 5 years or 13" MBP for 3.5 years?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nightcap, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Nightcap macrumors newbie

Hello there,

I'm in the market for a new computer and have decided to get a Macbook Pro. However, I have yet to decide whether to get the 15" or the 13".

I want to have a good laptop that I can bring with me on trips and to school etc, although probably not every day (I've got my iPad for that). I would have it hooked up to a external monitor as well as my TV when at home, and would use it mainly for Office, movies, surfing and photos. Although I'd also like it to handle some light PS-editing, some simulation applications (for school) and a few games (although maybe not all the latest and most demanding ones).

Probably it stands between the top of the line 13" (in standard configuration) and the top of the line 15" (in standard configuration). I have calculated that, with my somewhat theoretical "computer savings fund", I'd need the 15" to last for about 5 years before I buy a new one and the 13" to last 3.5 years.

I now have a about 7 year old Mac Pro, and even though it's a bit slow around the edges (and the graphics card has all but given up) the first real problem I ran into was not being able to upgrade to the latest OS (and hence not being able to install some new software).

What are your recommendations?
    Would you buy a 15" and upgrade every 5 years, or a 13" and upgrade every 3.5 years?

Thank you in advance! :)

2. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Get the 13in. It will last longer than 3.5 years and will give you extra time.

3. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

I'd buy a 13", then sell it and buy a new one in like 2 years. Then leave problems like dead components and battery to whoever buys it after 2 years of usage.

4. ecrispy macrumors regular

A great advertisement for those who buy used Macs, or talk about the high resale ;)

I agree with this advice btw.

5. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

I'd say go with the 13" MBP and save you some bucks. ;)

6. Nightcap thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your tips! :)

I'm guessing the 13" (2.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 8 GB, 512 GB, Intel Iris Graphics) is gonna be a lot better than my current Mac Pro (2 x 2.66 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 11 GB, 2 x 500 GB raid0, ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB)?

Looking purely at the values it wouldn't seem so, but I guess 7 years focused on other advancements than pure numbers? Will it still be able to run everything for 2-3.5 years on at least medium?

Another point, when I buy it now I'll get a 10% student discount, in 2 years I won't - but I guess that shouldn't change my decision much?

Thank you in advance again! :)