15" MBP for collage student

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cloudstrife13, Jun 11, 2009.

1. cloudstrife13 macrumors member

Going to start my 2nd year of College this September and am planning to sell my 24" iMac to purchase a new 15" MBP. I'm stuck between the 2.53GHz model and the 2.66GHz.

Only because the 2.53GHz model only has the 9400M while the 2.66GHz has the 9400M and the 9600M GT.

While I do play some games on my Mac and wouldn't mind the extra power, I play most of my games on my PS3 and likely could live with a 9400M.

My biggest concern is if the 9600M GT plays 1080p video any better then the 9400M? If anyone could tell me how the two are on 1080p video that would be much appreciated.

2. Widgetal macrumors newbie

2yrs studying collage?? Wow. You must have got through an awful lot of magazine cuttings and dry pasta!

3. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Maybe in your second year they'll teach you how to spell it correctly. :rolleyes:

The 9400M will play 1080p video perfectly fine. You could also consider the 2.53 refurb for $1449, which has the 9600 GT and 512MB of VRAM. You wouldn't get the newer battery, but other than that it's a screaming deal.

4. cloudstrife13 thread starter macrumors member

Dumb spelling mistake I admit but thanks for the least useful reply ever.

5. findwaldonow macrumors member

I think we're headed to the same gradual school. Our lady of découpage and pastiche? Or homage collage? I forget.

6. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

<insert collage-related pun here>

I guess it depends on how graphically-intensive you plan on being. If you use your PS3 for games, then the lower model should suffice.

You could even consider a 13" if you're going to be carrying it around a lot (unless you're some kind of obsessive Pro elitist!).

I guess you're going for a student discount? Otherwise the refurb store could be an option - the old uMBP 2.4 included dual graphics and should be going cheap now.

7. jeevesofRKdia macrumors member

This.

Also, compared to the entry 2.55 (new one with Edu discount) you save $100 and get:

~ ExpressCard (expandable to SD slot)
    ~ 320GB HDD instead of 250GB
    ~ Discrete Graphics (9600M GT)

8. cloudstrife13 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to those with actual input, it's appreciated.

13" isn't a option for me as i'll be selling my 24" iMac and making it my main machine. I do have a number of older PCs but I don't see my self using them that often.

Thanks for the tip on the refurb.

9. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

the ironic thing about some of the posters here is that they target you because you misspelled one small word, but yet don't have the restraint from trolling. its really sad how people put on their little kid hat when they are on the internet.

but as far as your question, what are you going to use the machine primarily for? do you mind the weight difference? is money an issue?

10. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

It's also amazing how some people can't spot humor, nor take a moment to laugh at themselves. I think people were just having a little fun. You've got to admit, someone entering their second year of higher education but not spelling "college" correctly is fair game. ;) I've got a friend who has a masters in business but is a terrible speller, and we rib him about it all the time. It was all in good fun, at least I hope it was. Don't take everything so seriously.

cloudstrife13, good luck with the computer. I do think the 2.53 refurb is one of the best deals out there in terms of power for your buck; that's what I ordered yesterday.

11. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

as a recent college grad I would have to say that mobility was an equally important factor in my decisions regarding computer purchases.

You might want to consider the 13"s but then again, after that 24 inch imac it might look sorta small. Though its just right for me :)

12. cloudstrife13 thread starter macrumors member

I agree, I posted here for some opinions but instead got made fun. Yes it was a spelling mistake, they happen.

Planning on using it for everything. Email, browsing, word, excel, music, lots of movies (a number of them being HD), some gaming (Diablo III when it comes will likely get a large amount of playtime). Weight difference really isn't going to bother me, being my main machine I'd rather have the 15.4" then the 13.3". Money isn't a huge issue, but being money smart doesn't hurt.

13. SilentCrs macrumors regular

"It's" really sad.

To be honest, someone asked the original poster's question in real life I'd have a snarky response as well. Is there any better example of the state of American education that someone in his/her second year of college can't spell "college" correctly? The fact that they're about to dump at least a grand on a new machine (probably with mommy/daddy's money no doubt) makes it even more ironic.

A Futurama quote comes to mind: "Please! Everyone knows 20th century colleges were basically expensive daycare centers."

14. cloudstrife13 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I'll be ordering before the refurb is gone because that is a great deal.

15. cloudstrife13 thread starter macrumors member

First off I'm not from America, and secondly it was a spelling mistake on some internet forums. If it was for something more important I'd likely of noticed and chucked at my own mistake. Spelling isn't one of my skills I admit, but your making all these judgments of me from one spelling mistake? Finally if my mother and father offer to help with the laptop purchase I won't deny their help but with my job I can most definitely afford it on my own.

16. findwaldonow macrumors member

I thought it was all in good fun too. You must admit, of all the things to mess up...and you got what? 4 or 5 little jabs. Grow a pair, man.

17. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

the more you whine about it the happier I am about having done it

18. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

I'm glad you like artwork, now why are you telling us?

--

Be sure to consider the 13" I have a 17" for college and I HATE carrying it around. The 15" and 17" aren't nearly as portable. I will be replacing my 17" with a 13" MBP very soon, as my only machine. You can always pick up a Dell LCD for $159 if you need the larger display at home.