15" MBP GPU Update Soon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by radiohead14, Mar 8, 2015.

1. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

Looking to upgrade from my Late 2013 rMBP 13".. but I see that the 15" GPU hasn't been updated in 2 years now (is that still the same 750m as the Late 2013 model?) Is there a strong indicator that there will be a refresh tomorrow, and what are the chances the 15" is part of that?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple will only update the 15" MBP line when Intel releases the broadwell chipset. It makes no sense to retool the manufacturing line just for a new GPU when Broadwell is coming out this summer (and they'll have to retool and setup for that).

3. radiohead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

it's real silly for Apple to still charge that much for a MBP with an outdated GPU. has there been any indication they will update to a Nvidia 900m series chip?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say its silly for Apple to charge that much money not only for an outdated GPU but rather an outdated CPU. the fact remans that apple charges what they want.

I can't recall a time when apple just rolled out a GPU update, especially on a chipset that is being replaced within a few months. That in of itself really doesn't make sense to me.

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The 850M was out many many months and so good it is like 2-3 generations better. It is a huge laziness considering how they always said gpu performance is so important to them.
    Today similar notebooks on the market are literally more than twice as fast they should have bothered with a new config. Doing so every 6-8 months is not too much to ask.

I still think they don't want to bother with dGPUs anymore. It is the only reasonable explanation.

BTT it shouldn't take long for the broadwell update now relatively speaking. Maybe two or three months. Then there will be either no dGPU or the long overdue 950M. I think they don't want to use dGPUs anymore and that was in their long term plan but Intel GPUs are good but Maxwell is just too good to pass up. If there had been no Maxwell and it would have just been some 30% faster Kepler part things would be different, but Maxwell is a lot better than that.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Call it what you want, but upgrading the GPU every 6 months is not something that apple does - at least it hasn't done so in the past and I don't expect it in the future.

I think it is, at least from an apple perspective. I'm not defending apple as much as just pointing out what they tend to do. I suppose you can always leave feedback with them on their site.

Personally, I see Apple moving away from the dGPU as time goes on. my 2012 rMBP has both a iGPU and dGPU, the 2013 model year only had the dGPU as a high end option. The 2014 spec update had no (AFAIK) GPU upgrade.

Add on the fact that apple's track record is horrible with dGPUs, I can them moving away from using them, not updating them more frequently.

7. radiohead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

such a shame. really wanted to get a 15" MBP, but i can't justify paying that much for outdated components. guess i'll have to go back to windows hardware.

8. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

You have to play the Apple game! As they don't ever really discount and can have long life-cycles, unlike all other tech companies the best value is to buy straight after a major update. I did that with the late 2013, and so I still have pretty much the top of the line 18 months later. Wait a bit and do whatever you have to to bridge the gap and I'm sure you'll have something worth spending your money on.

9. radiohead14 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i'm honestly tired of the "Apple game". i already have the Late 2013 13" model.. but I'm looking to upgrade to one with a dGPU. i waited last year for the 15" to be equipped with an 800m series chip, but no go. and I just can't wait anymore. ended up ordering a Razer Blade instead with a 970m, which is a really capable GPU.

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It's intels fault..

If the quad core processors for the 15 inch were available they would have updated it just like the 13 inch. Broadwell for the 15" haven't been released yet so they weren't updated when they are they'll get a new GPU. Think of it this way if they do come in june then the next gen of NVIDIA dGPU's will be out and the broadwell version will be even more powerful....

11. laserbeam273 macrumors 6502

But they didn't even upgrade the GPU last year when they could have. The current 750M dGPU was released April 2013 - that's way too old for a high-end laptop.

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

This is true

but they were waiting for broadwell from their point of view it wasn't worth the development and testing only to have to do it all over again 6 months later. I do find it amusing when apple don't do what a customer wants, the indignation is hilarious, if it was anyone else you'd just buy a different product that did what you want.

13. yjchua95 macrumors 604

They couldn't change the GPU architecture if the CPU architecture wasn't changed as well. Retooling the assembly line just for the GPU but not the CPU makes no sense.

14. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Why wouldn't it? It makes perfect sense. You imagine some connection between those chips that does not exist. Dell and others do it all the time. They switched 870M for 970M and so forth. It is the same interface, same memory all you exchange is the chip the rest of logic board is virtually identical. Other companies have enough flexibility in their assembly line to change based on customer orders. You imagine that to be much to complicated.
    Actually logistics of selling off the old stock and introducing the new world wide is 10 times more trouble than the technical side of installing different chips in assembly. That would be like one call to the supplier and within a week the factories only spit out the new logic boards.

15. leman macrumors 604

I don't think (please correct me if I'm wrong) that there was a single instance of Apple changing the logic board design just to accommodate a new GPU. Usually, they change to a new CPU and do the GPU at the same time. While it certainly makes sense to retool the assembly line to update the GPU, its simply not how Apple does things. I also think that its annoying, but to be honest, I'd rather keep my 2012 rMBP for a year longer if it means I can get a new sexy redesigned laptop in gold, with Skylake and Maxwell GPU.

16. rekhyt macrumors 65816

So... ... good? Negligible difference.

[​IMG]

Source

17. chelch macrumors regular

Credit for misinformation should go to nVidia marketing team. Maxwell is way more efficient but they nerfed the card to limit performance gain.

Broadwell-H coming around May link

GTX 950m coming soon link

Fingers crossed for update at WWDC.

18. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Lol check out some real benchmarks. This passmark seems like a horribly unrepresentative bench, no idea what they test but it is probably very outdated judging from the gpus they list. But check 3dMark fire strike scores which resembles relative gaming performance best among current benchmarks.
    In which the 15" MBP 750M gets 1800 points while a GDDR5 850M gets 3500 points. A 965M btw is 4800 pts.
    Even the DDR3 version of the 850M comes in between 2800 and 3150 points.
    Seriously forget this website you found there.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-750M.90245.0.html
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-850M.107795.0.html
    You can find all sorts of benchmarks and especially actual game benches too. You also can click on the - # benchmarks and specifications - link to see a list of all the available benchmarks from different systems with DDR3 or GDDR5 benches. Your site does not even differentiate between DDR3 or GDDR5, though even so it seem like that passmark is just worthless.

19. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Apple does not, because knowing how Apple functions, they prefer to push several large changes together at the same time. Never in Apple's history have they changed the GPU architecture but not the CPU architecture.