15" MBP grounding issues in Peru

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hfuhruhurr, Mar 10, 2013.

1. hfuhruhurr macrumors newbie

hfuhruhurr

I just moved to Peru with my 15" MBP and after 3 days without incident, I now get mildly shocked by the edges of the laptop when plugged into wall power. I understand I am experiencing a grounding issue. Peru uses the Type C plug so, by design, the juice from the wall is not grounded. Thus, the MagSafe power adapter with 3-prong head is rendered ungroundable by the wall receptacle. Does anyone have any ideas? Short of solutions, does anyone know if this is bad for the longevity of the hardware?

Interesting aside, another symptom I experience is a distinct yet slight vibration (?) sensation when performing a 2-finger gesture motion on any flat solid surface of the laptop that is NOT the trackpad. Vibration may be a poor word choice...it's like I'm trying to run my fingers over a surface that is sticky or has some resistance to it. Disconnect the AC and both the shocking and the motion vibration sensations disappear. Weird.

2. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

3. hfuhruhurr thread starter macrumors newbie

hfuhruhurr

Thanks for the suggestion however that device conditions the line and protects against surges; it does not create a ground. In fact, being plugged into a grounded outlet is a requirement of that device.

My issue is that the outlet is not grounded. And since every outlet in Peru is two pronged, I'm guessing running a ground isn't realistic. And if I could run a ground, how would I connect to it? :confused: A bare wire sticking out from the outlet hard wired to the neutral prong of the power adapter? I'd rather get mildly shocked than do that.