15" MBP high resolution, glossy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shiunn, Mar 25, 2011.

1. shiunn macrumors 6502

I've been round to a few Apple Stores, but have not found a MBP with high res glossy display to play around with. Shock!:eek: Been to Regent Street, Brent Cross. Does anyone know if Regent Street or White City have these models?

Hopefully my eyes can tolerate the high-res, glossy screen. If so, I'm getting it there and then!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I don't believe that is a standard configuration that they carry in store. I'd compare the standard screen with the AG. The AG has the resolution, and the standard has the glossy. If you like both, it's just those mixed, and you can order online.

3. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Yeah it's not q confit the retail stores will have. As suggested what I did was play with a standard glossy for awhile and see how that looked and focused on relflections. Then I went to an AG screen which all are hires and focused on the window sizes and text sizes. I love the AG screen but also like the pop and overly vibrant colors for hd movies and games on glossy. :)

4. macagain macrumors regular

In the US, none of the stores had the HR glossy... just the AG on 2.3's

I ended up ordering a HR glossy online. Am really happy with it. I was a little concerned about the eyestrain given that I do wear glasses when working on the computer, but it hasn't been a problem for me at all. Now, looking at my old 1440 screen is like looking at the old titanium 1152 or 1280 screens after getting the 1440 way back. They glossy is really not that bad (unless you are working outdoors...).

5. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

hm, I somehow assumed they would carry/display high res glossy in store. I guess I will have to order online then. more waiting...:(

6. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

I know for a fact the covent garden store has the anti glare high res screen on the shop floor where you can at least see how it compares.

I found the higher resolution too small on the 15" screen, but maybe I'm just getting old. It certainly provided more space to work on but you had to increase font size to compensate.

I heard that Lion might be resolution independent so maybe it'd worth getting a high res now and then when Lion comes out see if that sorts out the tininess of everything.

7. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

What exactly is resolution independence? I love the resolution of 168x1050 on 15" screens though.

8. currins macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm interested in knowing what exactly independent resolution is as well. I'm leaning towards standard resolution bc of font size. But I do like the real estate of the hi res

Sounds like ind. Resolution would give u both?

9. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Thought you'd already been to the Regent St store? :confused:

Doubt very much if they'd stock the HR Glossy as its a CTO option. Personally I wouldn't bother with the Brent Cross store just because there's a lack of sq. footage to make it worthwile. But if you need to query any of the stores, its probably best to give the stores themselves a call rather than asking through any forums. Store details (with phone numbers) can be found here.

10. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I've had both the hires glossy and antiglare. Normally I prefer glossy but I returned it and got the antiglare. I just found the white balance and colors better on the antiglare myself.

11. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

resolution independence means that the pixels are concentrated rather than spread out throughout the screen. for instance, the resolution of the iphone 4 screen, if spread out, would be larger than the screen itself. the reason everything appears sharper on the iphone 4 screen is because the pixels are all bunched together. apparently future OSes (and parts of OSX) are meant to be resolution independent so icons and taskbars and window tabs won't look so tiny but will be sharper and there'll still be desktop space to work and multitask.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resolution_independence

12. HBOC macrumors 68020

One of the local Apple Stores has a hi-res 15" & 17" on display. Just got mine installed, man did i miss it!