15" MBP i5 - firefox and youtube lag issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by christoph1784, Jan 28, 2011.

1. christoph1784 macrumors newbie

I recently upgraded from the previous generation to the current one, usually i will skip a generation before upgrades but i was able to use a friends employee discount so i thought why not. for most tasks the i5 smokes the 2.8ghz core2 duo that i had, but i have been getting a weird lag in firefox. mostly this is when using netflix, the video will hang for a second then race to catch up. Sometimes though even when scrolling or typing i get this lag, and the old computer never had issues with any of this. I seem to remember someone else complaining about this problem too but was unable to find the forum again, if it was on this site that i had even seen it. Just wondering if anyone else has been having this issue and any idea what may be causing it. My first suspect was lack of ram but i went to activity monitor and i usually have at least 1gb free.

2. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Does the issue happen in Safari as well?

3. christoph1784 thread starter macrumors newbie

after messing around all day using safari, i guess it is just a firefox issue. The temporary fix it would seem would be to use safari for now, maybe next FF update ill try again

4. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

When you started using your new mac, did you use the time machine migration assistant? or did you preform a clean install and manually put your files back on it? Secondly, I'd recommend reinstalling flash and see if that helps.

I have the same MBP as you and I always had issues w/ safari crashing or getting laggy. After re-downloading flash, I haven't had a crash related to that since.

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

If you have a lout of add-ons for Firefox, you will consume all of your system resources. When youtube is live-streaming, that will occupy between 1/3-1/2 of your CPU and uses even more RAM. If this is happening when you are say, on this forum, then it may not be related. It may sound crazy, but if all else fails, try resetting the PRAM.

6. christoph1784 thread starter macrumors newbie

re-installed flash, ill update after a day of use to see if it clears up, also got extra ram today so we will see if that clears it up as well. When i started using this i had the clean install and migrated files manually because the new one has a smaller ssd drive, the previous had a standard 500gb, as far as addons i have just adblock