15" MBP - i5 or i7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StellaBlue, Jul 17, 2010.

1. StellaBlue macrumors newbie

I realize the chip itself is faster, but is it worth the upgrade for the i7 version?

I'm not a professional, and I won't be using it to its full abilities but I like to have a fast and capable computer that will remain competitive for years.

Your thoughts, please...?

Thanks!
    J

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Both those chips will last you 3 to 4 years minimum no problem.

3. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

The difference with the i7 is negligible, so by the time the i5 becomes too slow, whether that's in 1, 2 or 5 years, depending on your needs, the i7 will have the exact same problem.

Yes, in benchmarks the i7 is faster. But we're talking long renders that'll be a few minutes shorter, nothing that's really noticeable. The i7 does have more video memory, but it's highly doubtful you'll ever use that. And even if you use apps that use that kind of memory, the card itself will become the bottleneck.

It's nice to buy the i7, because 7 > 5, but for most things it's purely psychological. People who "feel" that the i7 is faster overall and with day to day stuff are lucky, but it's all in their heads. Let them compare an i5 with an i7, but tell them the i5 is the i7 and vice versa. You can guess which one will "win".

The difference between the i5 2.4 and i5 2.53 is basically non-existent. So unless you want a bigger hard drive for a premium Apple price, never go for the 2.53-option. Either buy an i7 if you can spare the money and you really want the "fastest" option. If you're not going to use the machine for long renders and real pro stuff and you don't care about the "i7" tag, please save your money and buy the i5 2.4GHz.

Use what you save on e.g. more memory (not via Apple, way too expensive and it's easy to install yourself), Apple Care, or maybe an SSD. Good luck!

4. aussie.damo macrumors regular

Thanks! I'm going thru this dilemma now, that was very informative!

Damo

5. creeman macrumors 6502

6. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Cheers to that. If you've got the money, by all means go for it.

7. StellaBlue thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the replies. Please, folks, keep em coming. I think the difference between 2.4 and 2.53 has got to be a little something, no?

8. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

I think your real question is if you're going to need the additional video ram or not.

9. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

no

10. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Infinitesimal.

11. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Get the base 2.4 unless someone else is buying it like your company or significant other, then by all means go big. The truth is the faster CPUs are not worth 10%-25% of the cost of the computer. The performance gains are minimal and your money would be better spent on a ssd or saved.

12. Meever macrumors 6502a

You might save 5 whole seconds encoding something. Or get a few hundred points of something or rather in benchmarks.

i7 is a ripoff. It shouldn't be any more expensive than a 150 upgrade. Intel is being a jerk by rebranding and confusing the customers into thinking it's much better than an i5.

13. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

i had the exact same question as the OP. after doing countless hours of research on this forum ive decided to go w/ the i5 2.53ghz. its not as "slow" as the base i5, but close enough to the i7 w/o having to spend an extra 200 bux.

14. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Huh? Why spend another $200 on a slightly bigger HDD and .13 GHz? This seems like a worse value than the i7 where it includes more VRAM and more CPU cache.

15. ygv2000 macrumors newbie

Don't forget about power consumption!
    I have a two-week 15" with i7, I bought it cause I wanted the fastest MBP.
    But, on benchmarks you can see it's not THAT faster than the i5, they almost equal; the thing to think about is the battery. Don't expect to have 8-9 hours as Apple say on their website. I saw tests showing that while the i5 takes around 50W the i7 takes almost 70W! That's a lot more...
    I have a 15" with i7 and 7200RPM drive and while the faster HD is something I couldn't pass on, the i7 is probably just a power drainer. I get around 4.5-5 hours of almost minimal screen brightness and just net surfing and other cpu-easy stuff.

Think about it...

16. Eithanius macrumors 65816

It lasts me 6+ hours on half brightness and moderate surfing, plus some work on excel spreadsheet and some occasional apps that require the GT330M... Of course it's still short of the almost-impossible Apple figure of 8-9 hours, but I'm impressed...

17. u6crash macrumors member

u6crash

I posted this link in this thread earlier with several people implying a professional would save lots of time over the year with the i7. If you're not a professional, maybe you should save the cash.

For what it's worth, I did order the i7, but only because there was a deal on one in the refurbished store.

18. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

uhhh maybe because i didnt have $200 more in my budget.

19. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I actually suggested you should have saved the $200, and therefore you would not have had to max out your budget.

20. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/5.0.0.328 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Ohh Haha

21. StellaBlue thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, again, everybody. I appreciate the thoughts.

I'll buy the MBP before school starts (I'm a teacher) and I'll post back here then to let you know which I go with. Sounds like i5. Still leaning towards the 2.53. $200 bucks is harsh though...

22. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Don't expend $200 on the 2.53, as you won't notice the speed difference with 2.4; if you have the extra $200 go Hi-Res or upgrade to an SSD

23. owlbabu macrumors member

Do you think you'll go for the Hi Res screen?

24. StellaBlue thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, definitely. Now I guess I have to find out what the SSD is and how much it matters...:rolleyes:

25. demonsavatar macrumors regular

So I'm guessing you settled on the 2.4Ghz i5?

We really need a sticky for i5 2.4/2.53 vs i7 explanations.

The general advice is the upgrades are way overpriced.

BTW you may want to scour eBay for a good deal on an intel SSD. I got a slightly used 80gb for < $150 where they retail for $200-230. Of course there are other SSD models...actually the new sandforce ones look good, but $$$