15" MBP - i5 vs. i7

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by js81, Sep 13, 2010.

1. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

OK, so I'm getting a 15" MBP this week...

On Macconnection.com I can get the 15" 2.4 i5 for $1599 - the i7 is $1899. My question basically is this: is the i7 processor and 512MB video ram (instead of 256) worth it? The hard drive upgrade is no concern to me, as I have my own 640GB drive I'll be putting in whatever model I get.

Am I missing anything else that's included in the upgrade that may help make it worth it? Basically I see it as 2.66 i7 vs. 2.4 i5 and the video upgrade; I've already ruled out the middle (2.53) model, BTW...

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Hard to say unless you tell us about your usage. Generally, it's not worth it. You get ~10% CPU speed bump for ~16% more $. If every second in encoding matters, then it might be worth it. The VRAM is quite irrelevant unless you're going to be gaming on hi res external

3. js81 thread starter macrumors 65816

js81

My usage is pretty "normal" - mostly productivity, but some Photoshop and Final Cut Express. I rip DVDs, too, but I don't care to let those run overnight... I play a few games in Windows, too.

I figured the VRAM was useless (mostly), but didn't know if the i7 was worth it, especially due to the 3.33GHz turbo boost (vs. 2.93 for the i5).

And I assume the i7 would hold its value better... but is it worth $300? I don't seem to think so myself; just wanted opinions...

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

IMO it isn't. That 300$ can be better spent on an SSD than on minor CPU upgrade

5. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

sinisterdesign

yeah, unless you're doing high-end video, audio, gaming i think you'd be better off putting that $300 into maxing out the RAM. i always feel like you get more bang for the buck w/ RAM than a few extra GHz.

enjoy it! either one are sweet machines.

6. js81 thread starter macrumors 65816

js81

Cool: thanks all! That's what I've been thinking, but just wanted to verify my thoughts...

Think I'll get the 2.4 i5 and do the other upgrades later. I can't do an SSD, as I need 500+ GB of storage; I may upgrade the memory, though...

7. mrpuffy macrumors newbie

8. Retrostarscream macrumors member

Retrostarscream

I Agree

9. js81 thread starter macrumors 65816

js81

OK... I did it anyway...

I ordered the i7... Couldn't resist having the fastest possible MBP... :D

I know its probably not worth it, but the way I look at it, I can't upgrade the processor video card later, so why not...

10. Retrostarscream macrumors member

Retrostarscream

Awesome! Hope You Enjoy it! Either Way, You Are Getting a Fantastic Machine.

11. js81 thread starter macrumors 65816

js81

Got it

Got my new 15" i7 today! So far, its awesome! Tremendously more responsive than my 13" was... now if only my Time Machine restore would finish so I can REALLY try it out... lol. :D

1st impression: Its blazing fast... very impressed. Even my VMWare virtual machines are WAY faster. BUT... why did Apple see fit to put the slowest possible hard drive they could find? Mine has a Toshiba MK5055GSXF - according to harddrivebenchmark.net, it rates 305. My 640GB Samsung (that I removed from my 13", and may now put into this 15") rated 555, and its 5400rpm too! I was gonna sell the Sammie, but I may just keep it now. Other than that, I absolutely LOVE this machine. :D