15"MBP i7, safe to play a 3 hr flash video?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wirelessmacuser, Jun 3, 2010.

1. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

My job requires that I view flash videos that are 3 hours in duration.

In the past I used a PC, but we are now authorized to use Macs.

Is it safe to do this on my new 15" MBP Core i7?

I've only tried it just _once, with my new MBP.

It got pretty warm on the bottom, I could hold it in the palm of my hand, so it was not so hot that it would burn, but it was very warm. It was sitting on my desk and not my lap.

I didn't have iStat installed so I don't know the specific temps. Now that I have it installed I would like to know what is a safe temperature range. Google & MRoogle didn't help, nor did calling Apple tech support.

Thanks... :)

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Over 100 C is where I would start getting worried. The chips are designed to handle about 120 C if my memory serves me correctly, so you have a lot of play room. The highest I've ever seen mine go was 90 C when I was playing WoW for a while, but ever since that time the highest I've seen was around 83-85, so I think it was just a fluke.

Have you installed the newest version of Flash for Mac? The one that supports hardware acceleration? It's called Gala, download here. Supposedly it helps reduce strain on the CPU and GPU when playing flash videos. I've tested it a bit, and some videos it helps a lot, and some not so much, so it really depends on how the video was encoded.

Hope that helps.

3. SunnyP macrumors newbie

Do you have smcFanControl? If you have it plugged in and fans running around 4000-5000 rpm it should stay pretty cool. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about a specific temperature range as they are made to handle hot temperatures.

4. wirelessmacuser thread starter macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Thank you very much for your fast, helpful response and the link. I was unaware of Gala, I will do that now.

This new MBP is fantastic. I'm making every effort to avoid these videos, fortunately they are only a small part of my work each week.

Cheers...:)

5. wirelessmacuser thread starter macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

No I don't have smcFanControl.

Any tips as far as day to day settings once I install it? About 50% of my work is proprietary 3D Aerospace design.

Thanks.

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You don't have to worry about smcfancontrol, temperatures, or any other nonsense. The fans will spin-up as needed to keep your MBP's temperatures in spec. Just use your MBP; it's a tool after all. You could run it at 100% CPU all day every day and it would be fine.

7. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

why would anyone on a mac forum want to listen to bill gates, lol, he's a mac hater :p

Honestly smcfancontrol is one of the best apps I've installed so far along with gfxcardstatus, really useful and if you would rather have your mbp run cooler than it was, you can always adjust the minimum fan speed it'll run at

8. wirelessmacuser thread starter macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

"It's a tool" is quite appropriate in my case, as that is indeed how it's being used.

Frankly I didn't give flash a second thought till I started reading all this buzz (negative in so many cases) so I thought.... oops, perhaps I need to pay attention to temps.

I like your take on this, and the peace of mind that it can just be used. Much like "Macs Just Work". Sounds good to me.

Cheers...:)

9. Tom71 macrumors regular

Tom71

+1
    If you're an experienced or dedicated user and like tinkering you can do all sort of things (like fan control software) but you can also just not worry and enjoy your Mac :) That's the approach I'd take.