15" MBP i7 - w/ external display - Kernel Panic waking up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Niko03, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Niko03 macrumors regular

Hi all,

I just got a new 15" MBP with the i7 and hi res AG screen. I've been using it closed and driving a 22" external display that actually has the same resolution as the MBP's. I'm using a Mini displayport to DVI adapter.

Problem is after last using it last night and letting it go to sleep, I came home today, clicked the magic mouse to wake it up and what I get is a garbled display, no mouse pointer, unresponsive etc. I opened up the MBP and the screen was blank. I rebooted by using the power button. After rebooting, it gave me a Kernal panic message.

Also I've noticed a couple of times after waking it up from sleep the monitor will have a line going across the screen somewhere, sometimes near the bottom. It goes away if I change the background. This is driving me nuts.

I'm pretty sure I've had no problems using just the built-in display.

Anybody with similar experience?

Help!:(

edited to add: It is an Acer V223W display - could that be the problem?
    Are there some screens that just don't play well with mac's because of driver issues etc.?

2. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Hmm…

That sounds very much like a hardware issue.

Do you live near an Apple Store? If so, make a Genius Bar appointment and bring your display, your display adapter, and your MacBook Pro. They might be able to try plugging your display into one of their Macs. If it works with their Mac and not yours, your graphics chip may be faulty.

If you don't live near an Apple Store, you may be able to explore other options, like posting your kernel panic log here.

3. Niko03 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks - However I've learned some more. I do get strange screen artifacts even on the built in screen when I switch off automatic graphics switching. When driving an external screen I'm pretty sure it defaults to the discrete nvidia GPU so I believe it's related to the screen freeze up issue etc. that may be linked to the SL 10.6.4 release. sigh.....