15" mbp in a backpack or messenger bag?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sevadox, Mar 18, 2010.

1. sevadox macrumors newbie

what do you guys think is better to carry your mbp in, backpack or messenger bag?
    i carry a 15" mbp and powerbrick, a wacom tablet, and a few books with me..

I really love how messenger bags look, (specifically this guy) but am afraid that back problems may appear after long time use? anyone experience this (with any messenger/laptop combo) or is it not that bad?

2. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

i have a chrome bag and I LOVE it. For everyday use, its great. But as soon as you put anything heavy in it, it sucks balls because the weight distribution blows compared to a backpack. My shoulder and back get super sore.

So... make of that what you will.

3. Punker macrumors member

Mine is always in my backpack.
    I travel a lot (A LOT!) and i dont want it to be obvious that i'm carrying a laptop. So the backpack is the best option. I got a North Face backpack with a laptop pocket in the back. You can hold the laptop inside so it doesnt touch the ground when you drop your bag. Also at the bottom there is a very thinck padding protection where the laptop lies. Many backpack are made this way.

In addition i put my laptop in an InCase sleeve that i bought at the Applestore for about 40USD. A bit expensive, by my macbook pro is as good as new. Not a single scratch on it. I have a 15". I'm not sure it'd be possible with a 17"

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you're travelling with a lot of stuff (in this case you are) I would highly suggest a backpack for the reason you've stated and it's a big one. Messengers aren't really made for heavy loads and the strain on your body is not pleasant.

So...

Backpack = MacBook Pro + other things
    Messenger = MacBook Pro only

5. Eltorero macrumors newbie

6. eisdealer macrumors newbie

7. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

i have a northface recon. It has a laptop sleeve in the back and i absolutely love it! Its a bit pricy, but its totally worth it.

8. martynmc7 macrumors regular

Definitely a backpack. If I ever have to carry my 13" MBP around in a messenger bag it really kills my shoulder, so I can only imagine what the 15" would be like!

Get a backpack, your shoulders will thank you for it.

9. phrint macrumors 6502

10. jviphone macrumors member

I bought the ogio hip-hop messenger bag and I love it, however I wear it back and forth in to work and if I go to a clients to show photos, if I am taking photos I have a nikon backpack that has a slot for a 15" laptop which works out great.

http://www.ogio.com/product.php?product=731

I also reccomend the laptop sleeve from encase, great protection and looks very stlyish, I got the kaki looking laptop messenger bag with an almost burburry look to it, It looks very nice with the peacoat I wear into work.

I am very happy with it, and sometimes I carry my macbook and work laptop at the same time as well as alot of accessories like my iphone and such.

Jason

11. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

Make sure the bag you purchase is big enough to comfortably fit all of your gear. An over stuffed backpack can put too much strain on the lid / screen.

12. sevadox thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i guess this will be one of the few times where functionality over style is imperative; carrying 8-9lbs of stuff on a single shoulder probably won't be good for your back in the long run.

i was really hoping to avoid the student look but i guess thats unavoidable :p

13. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

I have always used messenger bags, but they suck royally the few times I have had to carry my laptop long distances or long periods of time. I prefer the space provided by a messenger bag.

I found this backpack from Timbuk2 called the "Swig" that is the best of both worlds that I'll probably get.

[​IMG]

14. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

For what you're describing, it sounds like the backpack would be the best way to go. Check out book or maybe even Kata backpacks (the latter one especially if you would want to carry a camera as well).

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

16. Perrumpo macrumors 68000

Perrumpo

Messenger bag for me. It's just more my style :cool:

It's also easier to get things in and out of without slipping it off or anything. It's not going to cause back problems.

17. sevadox thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i was eyeing the swig as well. it looks like a pretty good middle ground, the functionality (and back saving qualities) of a backpack but styled like a decent looking messenger.

18. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

I have a Crumpler Belly XL and its fantastic. Unbelievably strong.

[​IMG]

19. crobbins macrumors 6502

I used to carry mine in a messenger bag, but as the stuff I carried around increased I decided to switch to the North Face Recon backpack. The backpack also makes it easier to ride a bicycle with, in my opinion.

20. oliverhoward macrumors newbie

I think backpack is a better option as it distributes the weight between two shoulders. I also think it’s easier to travel with a backpack as opposed to a messenger bag. The Glide backpack (http://www.briggs-riley.com/category/productDetail.aspx?id=Glide-Backpack_VB414) from Briggs & Riley is one of the classiest backpacks I have come across. It has a separate computer sleeve – padded to provide protection to your laptop –and organizer and tech sections for all your essentials. The best thing about this backpack is that you can easily transform it from a work bag to a workout bag.

21. DctrJ macrumors member

I like the messenger bags and especially the Timbuk2 you linked to. I actually have a messenger bag that serves a special purpose and it looks like a Timbuk2 clone (or Timbuk2 made it for another company). I get get a lot of stuff in there and it really does not look like a laptop case. I sling over one shoulder for short trips and over the head for longer trips. I do not like backpacks.

22. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

I recently bought a Timbuk2 Classic Messenger 2010, Small. It's great, and it fits my 13" MacBook Pro perfectly (they include a diagram; Medium would be 15" MBP size). For $80, it's a great deal. I used to use a laptop backpack, a Swiss Army one, but it was too small. With the Timbuk2, there is a bit of strain when carrying the 13" MBP, but without it I don't have any issues. I usually carry a few notebooks (several AP courses), Nintendo DSi, PSP, headphones, and other random things I need. If you don't need to carry your 15" around all of the time, I suggest buying an iPad and leaving the heavy MBP at home; that's what I'm doing. Hope this helps!

23. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Always used to use messenger bags, but as the amount of books I carry increased, I've had to get a backpack. I use an Eastpak Provider which has a nice large padded laptop sleeve in a water proof section at the back. I was recently mugged (twice actually), and my laptop survived a kicking twice in this pack, including having the weight of two people crashing down on it so I'd definitely recommend it!