15" MBP LED Backlight flicker

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bill Gates, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Note that this is not the issue that others have reported where the screen flashes/turns black for a split second. I also suffer from this problem but believe that it's completely unrelated.

I have a 2.66GHz MacBook Pro, the updated model that was released back in March of this year. Irrespective of whether or not I am using the 9400M or the 9600M GT, the backlight flickers if I have the brightness set below 60% or so. It doesn't always flicker, but it does so often enough to warrant concern. Once it does start flickering, the only remedy is to increase the backlight level above a certain threshold, where the flickering either disappears or it is imperceptible to my eyes.

This has finally gotten to the point where I no longer am willing to "just live with it" and so I had an appointment at the Genius Bar a week ago. The genius told me that he had seen this problem often and that it was the inverter at fault. He initially offered to take the machine in for 24 hours of testing, but then said that it would be superfluous since the culprit is definitely the inverter. He said that the screen would need to be replaced.

This leads me to several questions.

1) Has anyone else had the same issue, and if so, did replacing the screen resolve the issue?

2) I thought that the LED-backlit models did not use inverters. If so, could the genius have been referring to other circuitry within the screen that controls modulation of the backlight?

I'm basically looking for input from others who have had the same problem on the MacBook Pro or any other LED-backlit model Apple computer, irrespective of generational differences.

2. bigMac001 macrumors newbie

i did not have any flickering on my 1st release batch of MBP, however my screen blinks sometimes when i am playing a game. The graphic card i am using right now is the 9400m and I have not noticed any blinking when the 9600 GT is engaged.

For your case I would have the genius to run a thorough test on it first.

3. Bill Gates thread starter macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I appreciate your input, but I want to reiterate that I am trying to diagnose the backlight flickering (flickering in the same sense that one would typically expect from any light source) as opposed to the screen blinking issue, and want this thread to stay on the intended topic.