15" MBP m370x & LG34UC97

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SpitUK, Jan 31, 2016.

1. SpitUK macrumors 6502

SpitUK

Anyone running the 15" m370x to power an external 34" monitor? How is Warcraft? I have the iris pro only version and have option of swapping for a m370x version.

2. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

If Warcraft runs okay with the Iris Pro on your current setup, you should probably stick with it for now.

The M370X has a serious issue with throttling even under comparatively low temperatures both under Bootcamp and OS X.
    -we're talking at 75-85 degrees, preposterous.
    And it will only get more noticable with time.
    (I sold my rMBP with the M370X)

So if you want a more powerful GPU than your current Iris Pro, I suggest waiting for the upcoming refresh.
    Both iGPU and dGPU models are going to be much better than what we have now.

3. leman macrumors 604

I play games with M370X quite frequently, Yes, the GPU does not seem to like high temperatures, but I never observed any throttling (except on very warm summer days, where the cooling system is simply not up to the task).

4. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

That "fix" is bantha poodoo.
    Overclocking does F-all to solve the throttling.
    And when that POS GPU melts you're stuck with a voided warranty and a very expensive paper weight.

I played a lot of games on my 15" and that thing throttles like a swine.
    For those who are stuck with it, it stinks, and I feel for you but don't go around telling people they shouldn't worry.

In time you will want to run tasks that demand more and more from your GPU and you don't want to be stuck with a worthless turd like the M370X.

So steer well clear of a Mac with the M370X, for your own sake.