15" MBP (Mid-2015) Screen Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -C-, Dec 17, 2018.

1. -C- macrumors regular

-C-

I’m trying to troubleshoot my screen that suddenly went dark… I closed the lid one day, not long after updating my mid-2015 MBP 15” to Mojave, and then tried to use it again and the screen wouldn’t come on. I tried all the reset procedures I could find online and none of them worked, but I am able to get into my computer with an external monitor. This should mean the dark screen is a hardware and not a software issue, correct? If I open the back then what should I be looking at?...it’s strange that it just went dark and I'd have a hardware problem without any physical bump or anything…

2. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

Could be a few things, but given that you can use an external monitor, I would say your display is likely bad. Are you near an Apple Store? If so, a Genius Bar appointment may be in your near future...

3. -C- thread starter macrumors regular

-C-

Thanks, any idea what those things could be? I'll try to wiggle some wires and maybe see if something became detached but somehow I doubt the display just went bad completely.

It's out of warranty and I'm not near an apple store and anything monitor related is going to cost more than it's worth. I replaced a monitor on a previous MBP and I regret it.

4. _Kiki_, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018

_Kiki_ macrumors 6502a

logic board went bad or screen itself, price for repair will be hefty

if you have torch you can put light into the screen, if you can see some faint image, that's definitely problem with logic board

5. -C- thread starter macrumors regular

-C-

Great tip, that's the sort of thing I'm looking for, thanks!

How about the I/O board? It would be a cheap enough fix but is there ever a scenario where it could cause the screen to go dark? If so then is there an easy way to diagnose that?

6. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

I agree with the above that it's likely a logic board issue, or a backlight issue. Either way, good luck. I'm sorry for your bad fortune.