15" MBP mid2015 gets hot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kvlq, Jul 1, 2017.

1. kvlq, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017

kvlq macrumors member

I recently bought a new MBP retina 15" mid 2015(4 days ago), without dGPU, and it's getting hot even only browsing on the internet (about 65 celsius degrees). I tried to play a 4K video on youtube(for a minute) and it goes to 95degrees. Palm rest and keyboard gets hot too, and its a bit uncomfortable to touch it. Its not what i expected for that money. Even my 4 yr old Dell runs cooler.

Any solution? I read that a lot of users have this problem, but i really want some fixes or smth. Thanks.

PS: Should i try to reset the SMC?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Those are completely normal temps, if you'd done a bit of searching on the forums, there are thousands of threads asking the same question with the same answer.

Aluminum conducts heat very well, for any given internal temperature, a macbook pro will feel warmer to the touch than a plastic PC. That doesn't mean it actually runs hotter.

3. windows4ever macrumors member

windows4ever

95 is normal? It's unacceptable in my book. That's throttling territory. I've owned several Macbooks and I've never seen temps that high. 80-85 tops.

Apple has always used a "quiet" fan profile in their computers. You can adjust the fan profile with a 3rd party app like Macs Fan Control. Set it to increase fan speed significantly when temps top 60 and then full bore when they hit 75. If you're getting temps over 80 with fans on 100% I think it's worth getting it checked out at an Apple store.