15" MBP, networked iTunes/iPhoto library v slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by winstano, Mar 24, 2011.

1. winstano macrumors regular

Hey all,

Just got a new (2011) 15" MBP (2GHz), absolutely loving it so far, with one minor exception.

I've got my iTunes library stored on a network drive, as I've fitted an SSD and there's not enough space locally for it. (See also iPhoto). I cloned the drive when I put the SSD in.

Now, the network drive is a Drobo 2nd gen attached to my AEBS via USB. Obviously I'm not expecting it to be tremendously quick to access stuff, but when I come to sync my iPhone/iPad, iTunes just locks up, and all the way through the sync it has problems with not being able to navigate through the library for large chunks of time. iPhoto has a similar issue with skimming photos, but I can understand that.

Is it solely because my libraries are networked and I'm accessing them wirelessly? If so then I might have a look at replacing the optical drive with the 500GB drive. Or, failing that, a local external drive for iTunes.

If not, has anyone had any issues with cloning their boot drive to an SSD?

2. sydenham macrumors regular

It sounds like whatever you are trying to sync has to connect to your Macbook Pro wirelessly. Then your Macbook Pro has to connect to your networked drive wirelessly. Then the information has to go back to your macbook pro wirelessly, then sent out to your iPad.. wirelessly. There must be a more logical way to do this. Perhaps someone here can come up with something. I also wonder if it could be iTunes not liking its files on an external hard drive.