15" MBP: Older 2.16 vs. newer 2.2 and 2.4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rapps, Oct 14, 2007.

1. rapps macrumors regular

I currently have the older model 15" MPB. It has a 2.16 Core 2 Duo and a 120 gb hd and I upgraded the RAM to 2 gigs. I have until the end of the month to purchase the applecare ($230 after student discount). Also, I have the student ADC which expires at the same time. I guess my main question is whether its worth it to upgrade to the 2.2 or 2.4 with my ADC discount taking into account I'd spend at least $200 for applecare to extend my current warranty protection?

I'm not too sure how much I could get for my current model. Its in good cosmetic shape and runs really well. Maybe $1500? Throw in the ADC discount on the newer models and taking into account what the outlay would be for the applecare on my current model, what makes the most sense? Upgrade? Keep what I've got and let my one-time ADC discount go to waste?

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

No, it's not worth the trouble. You would lose a lot of money in the process just to get a computer that performs just slightly better. All that you would really be paying for is the right to say that you have the latest and greatest (and that will likely change soon).

3. seany916 macrumors 6502

At most, about a 10% difference in processing speed. IMHO, commit to the one you already have (especially if you know it to be reliable already), and put the money you would otherwise spend on the difference in price and upgrading the RAM again into a CD at a bank for your NEXT computer. Which shouldn't be for another 2 years or so from now.

If you need more processing power than what you have now, you would need a Big Mac.