15" MBP on Clearance: Is this glossy or matte?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by e.n.d., Mar 3, 2008.

1. e.n.d. macrumors newbie

How can I tell if the 15" 2.2GHz MBP on the clearance page is glossy or matte? All it says is '15.4-inch widescreen display'...

2. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

If it doesn't say glossy it's not glossy (and thus matte)

3. MediaRyan macrumors member

I've called 1-800-MY-APPLE twice and they indicate that they are the default matte systems.

I want to get the 15" 2.4ghz model myself, but really want a glossy screen. The second guy I spoke with took my email and indicated he would contact me when some were available. Not sure if he (and others there) know exactly what is going on. The first guy earlier in the day didn't realize that they posted battery life hours on their website when I asked him about them. (?!?) I wonder what they get paid, I should be working there. I just need a computer with the internet and I can read from the Apple website. :)

So anyway, since glossy seems to have been a BTO option, albeit free, it seems unlikely for glossy models to be available on clearance. I've been looking at some resellers, but no specific luck yet, although some do sell previous generation glossy models with various configurations.

Any more sagacious information from others would be cool though...

4. MediaRyan macrumors member

Macmall.com seems to have some previous generation configurations. However, the Matte screen machines are similarly priced with Apple clearance but the glossy machines are priced at a premium. It could be that they are indeed BTO and you can't get that kind with glossy screen anymore because Apple won't go to the trouble of adjusting a generic system...?

I would buy the new 2.4ghz Penryn, but I'm pulling my hair out thinking about that L2 cache changing backwards from 4mb to 3mb!