15" MBP pre santa rosa. worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kace, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Kace macrumors regular

Hi there, i just wanted some thoughts on the pre-santa rosa c2d MBP.
    its the base model with the C2D 2.16 GHz processor and 1 GB RAM.
    This laptop would mostly be used for Uni work, light photoshop and coding.
    Would be running windows and linux using parallels. I've got a MacPro at home for heavy duty video editing and other tasks.

Initially i was inclined to purchase a black MacBook (edu price A$ 2050) and add more third party RAM as i don't want to carry a particularly heavy laptop everyday. That would bring total costs to about A$2300 (including a decent bag and more RAM).

However, just this morning before placing the order i came across this deal.

These are the specifications of the MacBook Pro for sale:

* 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 4MB shared level 2 cache
    * 1GB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC-5300)
    * 120GB 5400-rpm hard drive
    * 15.4 inch (diagonal) TFT widscreen display, 1440 by 900 pixels
    * ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB of GDDR3 SDRAM
    * Built-in iSight video camera
    * Slot-loading 6x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD+-RW/CD-RW)
    * ExpressCard/34 slot, FireWire 400 port
    * DVI port; DVI to VGA adapter included
    * Optical digital audio input/line in, optical digital audio output/headphone out
    * Built-in Airport Extreme
    * Built-in Bluetooth 2.9 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
    * Backlit illuminated keyboard and ambient light sensor
    * Apple Remote
    * Preinstalled Mac OS X and other bundeled software
    * Size and Weight: 14.1 by 9.6 by 1.0 inches, 5.6 pounds
    * Meets ENERGY STAR requirements.

all for A$1,300. frankly i was a bit suspicious so emailed the seller to find out that this was a gift and that she would like to sell the system ASAP. Pick up is fine although its a 6 hour round trip.

now i was pretty much set on the macbook cuz of its portability and my requirements but am tempted to go for the MBP. what would you guys do?
    bear in mind the MBP is pre santa rosa so no LED display etc.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Looks like a good deal. However refurb SR MBP are 1699, so just decide if the extra is worth it to you. The difference doesn't look like much for your use, especially with a MP at home.

Good luck!

4. Kace thread starter macrumors regular

It is a good deal. I just hope this doesn't turn out to be a hoax. its a 6 hour return trip to this place. so lets see, ive contacted the seller. 1699 for a refurb? is this the US Store? I'm in Australia here the SR base model edu price is $2599

5. moez macrumors regular

But doesnt SR base model ship with 2GB of RAM and not 1GB. I think this is the older model. You should check that you. (Besides, new models start from 2.2GHz and not 2.16)

6. Agent Smith macrumors 6502

Agent Smith

It's a pretty good deal. As for your issue of the MacBook and portability, the difference in dimensions between the MB and the MBP isn't too significant.

7. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

i would buy it....exept pick up would be hell(i live in usa)

8. weckart macrumors 68040

It's a good deal, especially if unused and a lot better than you will get on any refurb store. It's worth the 6 hour journey just to check on the screen before you part with your cash. Some of these had decidedly iffy ones. You didn't mention whether it was glossy or not. This might be a dealbreaker for you if you are dead set on one or the other.

The only other caveat is Linux. Linux does not like ATI GPUs, so you will have to do without Beryl/Compiz most likely, unless ATI deliver on their promise of better Linux support.