15" MBP Questions when used in conjuntion with 30" LCD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Decrepit, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Hi there,

I am considering buying a 15" MBP since I don't think that Apple will ever release the computer that I want.

I use a G4 Mini, and love it. But I would like a much newer version with a couple of features that it probably will never get.

So, I'm wondering if the MBP would fit the bill.

- I want the ability to have a 30" LCD as my primary display.
    - I want it to be darn near silent like the Mini is.
    - It would be used for daily driving, web, Office 2007 via VMWare Fusion or something, iChat, etc.
    - I want something that draws very little electricity. Yeah, I know the 30" LCD makes up for some of it, but it's better than using a 30" with a Mac Pro for the same usage profile.

Since I won't be taking it anywhere, or using the integrated screen, I don't really care about the display itself. I'll be using an external mouse, keyboard, speakers, and using my current Mini as the Time Machine.

1: Does anybody have experience with the MBP in a similar configuration? Is it as quiet as a Mini?

2: If I were to go this route, can you use it with the lid closed at all times? Is there any way to power it on without opening/closing it?

Any thoughts or concerns?

I appreciate any guidance. I'm not looking to buy any time soon, in fact, I'd probably wait for the next roll of the MBP to decide if I like it or want to buy somebody's old one as they upgrade.

Thanks!

2. Eric. macrumors regular

Why not get an iMac if you don't need the portability?

3. Decrepit thread starter macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Good question. I left out key information in my post.

1: I *really* want to go up to a 30" display.

But more importantly:

2: I will be using this 30" LCD with a KVM Switch that is shared between the MBP, my gaming rig, and my server.

3: I hate the iMac. If the display fails, the computer's dead. (I know there's an external jack, but come on, who wants a dead 24" LCD sitting unusable on their desk?)
    4: I hate the iMac. If the computer fails, the LCD's dead. I couldn't just plug the LCD into a new computer.

4. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Yes i second that, unless you don't want a glossy display, then i understand that.

anyways back to your question, The MBP can get a little noisy when you push it hard (handbrake, Final Cut etc.) and the fans kick in but the fans never kick in when doing daily mail / safari (unless you watch a lot of flash video, then i think every computer kicks in the fans). but by "little noise" i mean very negligible. I've only play with a mini in a retail store so i can't compare them for you. plus if you have a crazy case of OCD like me, and hate ugly cables hanging around / un-streamlined computer setups, then your gonna go crazy trying to find a good way to make your office clean looking (like i do everyday).

If portability is not a issue and you hate the glossy screen, then i would seriously consider a 4 core mac pro. they can be had for the same price of a MBP and it would allow A LOT more functionality and room to grow then any MBP, Mini, or iMac can offer. Power consumption wouldn't be as much as a 8 core machine, and I've used a Mac Pro in a quiet room and the noise is damn near silent to me, and if it's to loud for you, i would think that the computing power advantage would be a good trade off.

5. Decrepit thread starter macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I've thought of that. I love the look of the Mac Pro, and my background is in graphics workstations, so I have an innate love of big powerful computers. I actually posted here tonight because last night I asked Mac Pro owners what kind of electricity usage they see, and it was 200+ watts. And one nice person replied that their MBP only pulled 21 Watts, which is about what my Mini uses.

But I'm a serious tree hugger, and want the lowest power profile possible.

I am definitely OCD about cabling. My place is a freakin' disaster right now due to my preparations to move. But my computers are cabled up very nicely on their shelves. This shouldn't be a problem with the MBP since it would sit on a shelf and plug into the KVM. I use a 24" LCD on my Mini now through a KVM and have only a display, speakers a keyboard and mouse on my desk. Everything else is on a bookshelf.

I wouldn't be using any real applications, so it doesn't sound like fans would be an issue for me on the MBP.

Thanks for the info.

6. ZManChu macrumors newbie

Yes, I have this exact configuration at the office. 15" MBP running 30" LCD. Runs great, very silent.

Yes, Connect the external display, power up the MBP, and close the lid immediately. It detects the external display and runs it as a primary. Works perfectly.

Hope this helps! :D

7. Decrepit thread starter macrumors 65816

Decrepit

That is extremely helpful. But it doesn't do much for my spending habits since that's going to cost me about $3000. :) I'm holding off until after August for sure since I want to see if the Mini/MBPs roll.

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

To the OP:

This works. Also, if you are finished using your MBP, let it sleep , then wake it with a usb keyboard , usb mouse, bt keyboard or bt mouse (stated separately because a pair is not required) with the lid still closed. Works great for me.

9. Decrepit thread starter macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Interesting. I think this would be the best configuration to do what I'd like to do.

I wonder how it would handle being used with the KVM. If it would sleep properly, etc. KVMs can be finicky.

10. Standard macrumors regular

Question about this, I am currently looking at a setup like this..However I will be using some 3d programs such as Maya, Modo, 3ds Max, etc. Would it be safe for me to keep the lid closed or will the computer be generating too much heat and possibly burn the screen?

Thanks.

11. ZManChu macrumors newbie

Lid closed is fine. Heat comes out the back. I use Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, etc all at once all day long and have never had an issue.

-Joe

12. Standard macrumors regular

Thank you kind sir. I should of mentioned this in my above post as well but, what about gaming in windowed mode on the big screen, or is it best to run that directly on the notebook.

Thanks.