15" MBP seems to take workload much better than 13" MBP ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Feb 10, 2010.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

We have a mid '09 13" MBP with 2.5 ghz, 4gb RAM, 256ssd and a mid '09 15" MBP, 2.8ghz, 4gb RAM, 256ssd .... both well spec'd.

When doing the same tasks on each notebook, for example sorting through and editing photo's and working into page layouts the 13" MBP seems to have to work so much harder ... fan's a blazing hot as hell, even more so when hooking up to a 24" ACD.

Whereas doing the same tasks, same software etc the 15" whether in discreet or integrated mode sails through everything fine, I never hear the fans and it is 'snappier'.

I understand the 15" has two fans and the 13" one, could that make such a difference? Surely 2.5 to 2.8ghz can't make much difference in how stressed the machine seems to operate?

2. vant macrumors 65816

GPU. The most important difference between a 13" and a 15".

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

4. tdgrn macrumors 6502

It does greatly depend on what tasks you are performing and thus this is why a bunch of people have already stated it was a GPU issue. However, one thing that nobody has pointed out about why it seems like your 13" has to work harder is that everything is crammed together more so on the 13" vs 15"... 15 - bigger case, more heat dissipation. This is one of the reasons why Apple always puts the top of the line stuff in the 17" first (besides cost as well) to see if everything can handle the thermal demands.

5. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

Are you guys blind or what?
    OP said that there's a difference no matter which GPU.

And dont exaggerate GPU role in general, it is much less important than you think.

6. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

The 2.8 has a better processor with 6MB shared L2 cache.

Sorry for lame answer.

I did appreciate the remark about the GPU on the 15" having no bearing.

7. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

Just to make it clear: do you experience performance difference or just heat issue?

8. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

The whole fan thing could come in to play in this case. As you know, when the machine gets hotter, the system will generally get slower as it down clocks itself to cope with the heat. This could mean the 15inch handled the heat better than the 13inch, effectively keeping performance at its top whilst the 13inch suffered performance issues related to the heat.

If both laptops were cool. I have no idea.