15" MBP Side Screw Clip?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgl17, Jun 7, 2011.

1. mgl17 macrumors newbie

I recently went about replacing the hard drive in my 15" Early 2006 model Macbook Pro. Everything went fine and no screws were lost, but when I went to snap the upper case back on, I noticed that there was nothing to screw the lower left side case screw into. The problem was that one of the small plastic clips that hang down from the upper case for the lower case side screws to go into had snapped off. I'm pretty sure this happened before I even opened it up, because it had become slightly loose and creaky on the left side 2 weeks earlier. I've searched all over mac repair forums and can't seem to find anyone with this same issue or a way to solve it.

It looks like these little plastic pieces are an L shape and just slide into the upper case. Does anyone know what these are actually called and if I could buy the piece without having to do a whole upper case replacement?

It would be much appreciated, as I would rather not have to hold the left side down with pathetic looking electrical tape forever.

2. holytexas123456 macrumors newbie

I had a similar problem myself. I solved it by bending down the top case ever so slightly as to place pressure on the bottom case, fixing the issue cosmetically. In your case I would also recommended just putting a drop of glue on the back of the screw inside the computer. While this fix might not be elegant, it is more viable than spending ~100 on a new top case on ebay. (but you might be able to purchase a penryn version that would have a multitouch trackpad)