Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
Any of you 15" MBP owners out there have problems with your speakers. I'm not totally satisfied with the quality of mine.

When I reach the third loudest setting and on, the sound gets distorted. Like the speakers can't take the volume. Watching videos, playing music. And I didn't change the volume settings in the respective programs.
My 15" PB had no distortion what so ever, even at the highest setting. It could even play louder.

So you guys have the same problem or is it only me?

mrkamputee

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2006
Temujin said:
Any of you 15" MBP owners out there have problems with your speakers. I'm not totally satisfied with the quality of mine.

When I reach the third loudest setting and on, the sound gets distorted. Like the speakers can't take the volume. Watching videos, playing music. And I didn't change the volume settings in the respective programs.
My 15" PB had no distortion what so ever, even at the highest setting. It could even play louder.

So you guys have the same problem or is it only me?

Got the exact same set up as yours. I find the speakers lack any sort of bass and have a bit too much treble when I whack the volume to max listening to heavy electronic music, though dialogue in video playback seems fairly good when watching stuff in front row across the room. Don't seem to get any distortion issues. Tend to plug in externals when I'm after serious sound mind.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
mrkamputee said:
Got the exact same set up as yours. I find the speakers lack any sort of bass and have a bit too much treble when I whack the volume to max listening to heavy electronic music, though dialogue in video playback seems fairly good when watching stuff in front row across the room. Don't seem to get any distortion issues. Tend to plug in externals when I'm after serious sound mind.
Yeah very treble happy speakers. My PB had more bass. I can relate to the electronic music. Drums, or bass in general makes the problem very audible. But no distortion you say. Distortion might not be the right word, it seems like the vibration from the bass at a high volume makes the speakers vibrate or something, causing the "distortion".

So playing music at max volume setting is crisp and tight, no props at all (bass in particular)?

vgoklani

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2004
there is something wrong with the speakers - mine had the same problem (it was the left speaker)...i exchanged it, got a 17", and now my right speaker has issues :(

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
vgoklani said:
there is something wrong with the speakers - mine had the same problem (it was the left speaker)...i exchanged it, got a 17", and now my right speaker has issues :(
You win some you lose some. Fiddled around with the balance, it's the right speaker on mine. Better go get this sorted out tomorrow. Got the whine and now a faulty speaker, hmmm.

Thanks guys

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Laptop speakers are never any good at bass. Its a bit of a tight fit in there :p

I don't notice mine distorting, but it does sound empty. I just use my bass guitar amp to get good bass response :D

vgoklani

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2004
I've been thinking about returning the macbook, getting a mini and a 23" screen...it seems that the coreduo2 is coming out very soon, and these machines will be worthless in a few months....the mini is cpu upgradeable (though maybe not to the coreduo2)

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
vgoklani said:
I've been thinking about returning the macbook, getting a mini and a 23" screen...it seems that the coreduo2 is coming out very soon, and these machines will be worthless in a few months....the mini is cpu upgradeable (though maybe not to the coreduo2)
I wouldn't go so far as calling the present CoreDuo machines worthless in a few months. Granted there will be faster and better hardware, but the "old" hardware will still work just fine.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
Scarlet Fever said:
Laptop speakers are never any good at bass. Its a bit of a tight fit in there :p

I don't notice mine distorting, but it does sound empty. I just use my bass guitar amp to get good bass response :D
Yeah that should do it:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.