15" MBP -> Strange Graphics Performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reuvenbrom, Aug 14, 2009.

1. reuvenbrom macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Ok, I just picked up a 2.66 15" MBP with the 9600M GT and 4GB RAM today. When using Expose with only two windows (one Safari, one Finder), it is choppy/sluggish (low frames per second). This should not happen. It should be buttery smooth.

- if i add one more Finder window, still sluggish
    - if I add yet another Finder window, still sluggish
    - once I have 6 Finder windows (plus the original Safari window), Expose is buttery smooth!!!

-I also notice Expose becomes buttery smooth when loading some app or file. In other words, graphics performance improves when the machine is busy.

What in the world is going on? Does anyone else experience this, or do I have a faulty notebook? FYI, everything is updated through Software Update.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. reuvenbrom thread starter macrumors newbie

Also,

I have it set to "Higher Performance" in Energy Saver:eek:

3. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

My guess, Intel SpeedStep. It underclocks the processor by dropping the multiplier and also dropping the voltage to reduce power consumption when idle or a light load. Basically, it makes the processor weaker temporarily to improve battery life. When you start to do more on your laptop, it brings it back to full speed.

4. reuvenbrom thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any way to disable or adjust speedstep?

btw, when the dock is hidden, framerates are buttery smooth. thats ridiculous, it cant handle the reflection.

5. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

On Macs, SpeedStep is built into the kernel. There is no way of disabling it.

6. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

As someone in the market for a new MacBook Pro, this is disappointing to hear - I'm tired of the jerky, laggy animation effects on my PowerBook