15" MBP to dual display via thunderbolt setup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nykwil, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

How will this work? Dual displayport cable adapter or will there be monitors with displayport/thunderbolt ports you can daisychain off of?

One of the things I'm excited about is thunderbolt can support dual displays from the specs posted yesterday

Anyone else excited about this?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. levifig macrumors member

levifig

ARE YOU KIDDING? I'm head-over-heels excited about this one! Just thought of it, then googled and found this!

I'm glad I didn't take the plunge and get a Mac Pro a couple of months ago!! Dual display (with laptop screen off) has been the Holy Grail of laptops for professionals!

And people say Apple gear is expensive… Geeze! Can you imagine the amount of $ Apple puts into R&D compared with Dell or HP? :eek:

AWESOME!!!!

4. laser71 macrumors regular

You know you can have a dual display already, by using a $50 USB external display adapter?

5. Nykwil thread starter macrumors 65816

Nykwil

Yes but what you get with that is one huge stretched out MacBook pro display over two screen and not two displays with the ability to seperately change the resolutions. It's a piss poor solution IMO

6. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

are there any displayport monitors that are actually daisy chain capable? IE they have a second displayport for attaching another monitor? Or maybe a single cord with a 3rd displayport connection in the middle(like how ide cables are)?

7. Nykwil thread starter macrumors 65816

Nykwil

None that I know of yet, not even apple's displays

8. J273 macrumors regular

Good read that....I've been wanting to do this for a while but no way was I buying a mac pro.

I still run dual 30" panels on my windows pc both @ 2560 x1600 and with he new thunderbolt port I'm hoping for a hub to allow me to do the same with my new MBP.

I was only thinking how it would be possible without buying new monitors with dual ports to daisy chain but with a hub it would work.

9. laser71 macrumors regular

Actually no, USB display adapters are recognized as a second monitor. It's the Matrix displayport splitters that stretch the screen across both.

http://www.macxperience.com/2010/07/11/connecting-multiple-external-monitors-macbooks/

Their biggest drawback is they are not built for video - YouTube should play fine on them, but anything beyond that and you'll want to play it on your primary external monitor.

10. J273 macrumors regular

Only problem I have with these is they don't support dual link dvi

11. Nykwil thread starter macrumors 65816

Nykwil

yeah see one TB connection to 2 displays would be a better solution. USB just doesn't cut it. Also I'd rather do without some bulky adapter