15" MBP to iMac for video editing - will I notice much difference?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adriantoll, Jun 26, 2009.

1. adriantoll macrumors member

I'm starting to do a lot of video editing, and I'd really like to speed up rendering in Final Cut Pro (version 6.06).

I currently have a 15" MBP with a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4Gb of RAM.

Would upgrading to an iMac with a 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo and 8Gb of RAM make much of a difference? Or would I need to look at a mac pro?

I already have an external screen, so getting a Mac Pro wouldn't cost that much more really, but I like the compactness of the iMac.

I remember being told once that rendering speed is defined by processors, and how many apps you can run at one time is defined by RAM. Is that true?

Cheers, Adrian

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

MBP -> iMac will be a noticeable difference, but it won't be as big as MBP -> MP.

Basically. There are a few things that can qualify that statement, but all else equal it's true.

3. adriantoll thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that - if you were to have to quantify it, would you say that if the speed of the MBP was 1, would the iMac be 2 and the Pro be 4? (I know is is a simplification, but not not knowing the full technical aspects of it it wold be helpful to know how big you you think the speed bumps would be - simply multiples of the speed or an exponential curve?)

Thanks - that's useful to know for the future...

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I think it'd be more like

MBP = 1
    iMac = 1.25
    Mac Pro = 1.75

5. adriantoll thread starter macrumors member

Great - thanks Miles, that's been a big help.

6. adriantoll thread starter macrumors member

Here's an interesting benchmark test from December 2008 that compares the fastest MBP, iMac and Mac Pro. My MBP is the generation before the current ones, so a jump to an iMac will probably be a bigger difference than these results show. These would suggest that according to my simplistic rating system, the difference might be 1 / 1.25 / 2.25 or thereabouts, depending on what it is you're doing (although the results of particular interest to me was the Compressor results, where the Pro was about five times faster than the iMac or MBP in encoding a DVD at Best quality).

http://www.barefeats.com/three08.html