Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPizzzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Anyone else notice that you can see the "cut outs" or speaker diaphragm area in the speaker grills. This happens under certain light. I know most of the holes in the casing is cosmetic, but I wasn't expecting to actually see where the speakers are.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Anyone else notice that you can see the "cut outs" or speaker diaphragm area in the speaker grills. This happens under certain light. I know most of the holes in the casing is cosmetic, but I wasn't expecting to actually see where the speakers are.

I would disagree that most of the holes in the casing are cosmetic. They were put where they are for a specific purpose such as airflow (in and out), or sounds flow and tuning (which are again effected by airflow).

Reactions: Painter2002

JPizzzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
[doublepost=1549577815][/doublepost]
I would disagree that most of the holes in the casing are cosmetic. They were put where they are for a specific purpose such as airflow (in and out), or sounds flow and tuning (which are again effected by airflow).

Proceed to step 12: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Touch+Bar+Teardown/73395

"This 15" MacBook Pro has a similar speaker grille when compared to its smaller 13" counterpart. Most of the grille doesn't include full through-holes, prompting us to question why the dimples, Apple?"

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
[doublepost=1549577815][/doublepost]

Proceed to step 12: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Touch+Bar+Teardown/73395

"This 15" MacBook Pro has a similar speaker grille when compared to its smaller 13" counterpart. Most of the grille doesn't include full through-holes, prompting us to question why the dimples, Apple?"

Still can perform some function. Speakers need the body they sit in to create proper sound. And the material they are made of has an effect. High end speaker companies spend a lot of time and effort working with the mountings and cabinetry in addition to the drivers and cones to tune their "sound". Those holes may may let the case flex a tiny bit more to prevent "dead" sound in the same way speakers with cabinets made from cheap laminate woods and glue will sound different, usually "deader" than those made with Finnish birch. And most reviewer phrase the sound from the MBP speakers.

Last edited:

JPizzzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Still can perform some function. Speakers need the body they sit in to create proper sound. And the material they are made of has an effect. High end speaker companies spend a lot of time and effort working with the mountings and cabinetry in addition to the drivers and cones to tune their "sound". Those holes may may let the case flex a tiny bit more to prevent "dead" sound in the same way speakers with cabinets made from cheap laminate woods and glue will sound different, usually "deader" than those made with Finnish birch. And most reviewer phrase the sound from the MBP speakers.

Respectfully, I think your missing the point of my thread. I'm not questioning the sound of the speakers, but more so annoyed that I can see where the speaker holes where the actual diaphragm is as a circle on the mid bottom of the speaker "grill." It's only visible under certain light, and am wondering if others have noticed. I'll try taking a pic.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London

I honestly think the real reason though, is to make it appear that it has great(er) speakers than it does because, size of speakers just seems to make people think "better sound".

To give a similar comparison:

zd79qph7qsu01.jpg

I don't think for one second Logitech did that to enrich the sound with it's carving or material.

Reactions: Painter2002

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I honestly think the real reason though, is to make it appear that it has great(er) speakers than it does because, size of speakers just seems to make people think "better sound".

To give a similar comparison:

zd79qph7qsu01.jpg

I don't think for one second Logitech did that to enrich the sound with it's carving or material.
Oh now that just made me chuckle... how dare Logitech lie to us that we have 2 way speakers?! :confused:
[doublepost=1549648972][/doublepost]
Respectfully, I think your missing the point of my thread. I'm not questioning the sound of the speakers, but more so annoyed that I can see where the speaker holes where the actual diaphragm is as a circle on the mid bottom of the speaker "grill." It's only visible under certain light, and am wondering if others have noticed. I'll try taking a pic.
Alternatively Apple could've only put the grill over the open area of the speaker, but I think that would have been more of a sight sore than have a plate of speaker grills, with only a small portion that you can see through.

My bigger complaint is that part of the speaker grill collects dust particles, and can have a slightly different look than other parts that haven't collected dust. But honestly, if that is your biggest gripe on a $2-3,000 machine, you're doing pretty well with you machine.

My personal take, try to overlook the speaker grills, as that is something you can't do anything about, and there are way more important things to be bothered by in life than that, IMO.

Reactions: JPizzzle and jerryk

JPizzzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Here’s a pic of what I’m talking about. I think what’s happening is that over time the fake holes are filling with dust and making the speaker holes more noticeable, as I hadn’t noticed this when I first got the laptop about 2 weeks ago. The speaker holes are only visible under certain lighting and angles

Attachments

• 9994404A-3317-4A11-AA09-2B42793424B9.jpeg
    9994404A-3317-4A11-AA09-2B42793424B9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 351
Reactions: unlogic

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Here’s a pic of what I’m talking about. I think what’s happening is that over time the fake holes are filling with dust and making the speaker holes more noticeable, as I hadn’t noticed this when I first got the laptop about 2 weeks ago. The speaker holes are only visible under certain lighting and angles

I don't think there is any way around it appearing in certain lighting conditions, because after all that speaker circle is the only area of the deck that is actually drilled all the way through. It has never bothered me, but I agree that once you have seen it, it can be a little difficult to unsee it.

JPizzzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure it’s not a “defect” since I have 2 days left in my return period. I have no other issues with the laptop so don’t really want to take a chance exchanging for something with problems (previous had horrible white balance)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.