15" MBP Touch Bar - Speakers No Work until restart/SMC reset

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bmustaf, Nov 27, 2016.

1. bmustaf macrumors regular

15" MBP Touch Bar, Radeon 460 2.7GHz 512TB

After a few hours of use/a few lid closes and opens later, speakers fail to output any audio. No, system is not muted, app is not muted, and sound output IS set to internal speakers. Sometimes restart fixes. SMC reset always fixes.

Anyone else experience the same issue? I searched but could not find one. Thought I'd check with others before going to radar and opening a bug, seems like a firmware issue.

2. SamAshleyBlogs macrumors regular

Me, me, me. Apple made me do a SMC reset as their fix. Of course it worked. For a little bit. Now I'm back to no audio. I can't just restart my machine multiple times a day. Especially a brand new machine that cost me this much money. It's ridiculous.

3. Sanpete macrumors 68020

4. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

Happens to me as well.. seems like it's daily.
    Not sure what to think.
    Restarts always fixes it for me. I haven't tried performing SMC reset. Wondering if a fresh install will fix the issue.

5. SamAshleyBlogs macrumors regular

So, I ended up going to the Apple Store on recommendation from my cousin who is a lead engineer at Apple corporate. I was expecting them to run tests and they didnt, so I was annoyed.

She opened Activity Monitor and was looking for an audio process to close. She couldn't find the one she wanted so she just searched and closed whatever audio process was open.

I left the store within 5 minutes and was annoyed, sure that I had wasted a trip.

But it seems to have worked. That was a few weeks ago and it hasn't happened since. Although, I haven't used my Bluetooth headphones, other things that would have triggered it haven't.

Not sure it's a total fix, but worth a shot?