15" MBP vs Mac Mini + Thunderbolt Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by srxtr, Apr 13, 2012.

?

Which would you choose, 15" MBP or Mac Mini + Thunderbolt Display?

1. 15" MacBook Pro

26 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. Mac Mini + Thunderbolt Display

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. srxtr macrumors 6502a

Whichever choice I make, I'm going to wait for the 2012 version so that's out of the discussion. One way or the other, the price should be around the same.

So what do you guys think?

2. Digidesign macrumors 6502

There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer, but if portability isn't that critical, I'd go with the Mini + Thunderbolt for the awesome screen.

3. Liquinn Suspended

I have a Mac Mini and getting the 15" 2012 on the day it's updated and a Thunderbolt display in a few months time.

As it stands now, I'd have to say go for the Mini as I don't have any experience with owning a MBP yet; this is why I'm eager for the update to be soon :p

Cheers, I hope that helped.

4. mslide macrumors 6502a

Any particular reason you're considering a Mini + TBD as opposed to a 27" iMac? You'd get more for your money with the latter.

I'll assume you don't care about portability (because one of the options is a mini), thus I wouldn't get a MBP in your case.

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

This.

iMac or MBP would be a better option.

6. swinnie macrumors newbie

Neither - I'd roll for MBP & Apple Thunderbolt Display.

7. srxtr thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess an iMac is another possibility, bit I figured I'd have an easier time upgrading a Mac Mini than an iMac in terms of RAM and SSD

8. srxtr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks like the majority of you would rather go with the MBP. Maybe it would be a different story if I included iMac in the list of options.

I'm leaning towards the MBP. Thanks everyone!

9. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Get the new MacBook Pro and the Thunderbolt Display if you can. Perfect match :D

Trust me, the MacBook Pro is much better than the Mac Mini!
    If you want a desktop, I'd say get the 27" iMac instead of Mac Mini + Thunderbolt Display.

10. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I'd go mac mini and a dell 27" screen lol. That thunderbolt screen is nice, but it is overpriced and the glare is terrible.

11. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

Do they amount to the same price? Cause it will be a little odd comparison if not.

The mini might not get updated as soon as the others. What would you do? wait longer?

Personally I think there are other combos out there but if I had to chose it would be a 'rumored' mbp

12. srxtr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Should be around same cost. 27" iMac should also be around the same

13. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

If you DO NOT need portability, I'd get the iMac 27".

If you DO need the portability, I'd get the MBP (perhaps hooked to an external TB display).

Either way, I dont see the point of the Mini + 27" screen.

14. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Personally I think thunderbolt displays are far too expensive. If you were to get a mac mini, why not connect it to a HDTV/other high-res monitor with it's built in HDMI output.

15. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

In that case! I would go for a MBP, depeneds what you need it for, maybe a 13" AND a ACD.

Then after some time, i'll save up a little more and build myself a mini hackintosh with LEGIT software and you'll get more for your money this way.

16. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Neither. 2012 iMac should be much faster and more economically practical.