15" MBP w/ user replacable RAM & Battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JMcN, Apr 30, 2013.

1. JMcN macrumors newbie

Is there a currently produced 15" MBP with user replaceable RAM and Battery? The radius displays are nice, but I really don't need one.

My current 2.33 GHz MBP from 2006 is getting a bit flakey. I'm going to have to replace it one of these days. I tend to keep my computers a long time. I've not had what I consider great life out of the batteries (If I can get 2 years, that's pretty good. My last aftermarket battery for my current MBP developed significant problems after about 13 months -- on a 12 month warranty)

If I'm going to have to replace it, the idea of not having a user replaceable battery bothers me. Are these new batteries really that much better than the old ones? I'd hate to switch over to "the dark side" and get a windows laptop (especially with that AWFUL windows 8), but I'm disturbed by Apple's move towards no user replaceable/upgradable parts.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

The newer batteries last quite a bit longer than the older ones did, they technically aren't user replaceable, as you cannot buy the battery straight from Apple, but the swap itself isn't very hard. The cost of replacement at an Apple store is pretty much on par with the cost of the battery itself, so I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040