15" MBP - which hard drive? Add-ons?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BklynGirl, Oct 25, 2009.

1. BklynGirl macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm sad to say it might be time to say goodbye to my nearly 5yr old Powerbook instead of continuing to throw money at a sinking ship.

So, I'm looking at a 15" MBP. I'm trying to keep costs down as I'm a poor grad school student, but I'm wondering about the difference in performance between the 2.53, 2.66, and 2.8GHz versions of the processor as well as the performance and reliability of the different HD options (5400rpm vs 7200rpm, how much storage). My temptation is to just get the base 15" 2.53 GHz with 250GB HD, but I'm wondering if in a couple years I'll wish I'd spent an extra $50 somewhere...

I'm a theatre designer, so I use the computer for CAD drafting, photo rendering/editing as well as basic word processing/surfing etc. I have *on occasion* dealt with very minor video editing, but I so seldom do it that I wouldn't overspec a computer in order to accommodate those needs...

So, what's the good word? Are any of the customizable add-ons must haves? If so, which ones?

Also, is the antiglare screen add on the same as a what used to be called "matte screen"?

Thanks so much!
    Gill

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think you'll be fine with low-end 15" but take a look at refurb store because there are some great deals (of course if you or your friend is a valid student, use edu discount). DOn't worry about hard drive so much, that can be changed later on and that isn't so hard so you can do it yourself.