15" MBP will not turn on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobfitz14, Nov 20, 2012.

1. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

Hello all,

I recently (less than 3 months) bought a brand new 15" antiglare MBP directly from Apple and now it doesn't work..at all. I believe it's a hard drive issue so let me explain a bit.

I was using my laptop as I typically do, with Chrome and iTunes but not much else going on, and it simply became unresponsive. It started with Chrome not responding but no pinwheel occurring. Then everything else froze and I held the power button down and attempted to turn it back on.

Nothing. Tried this a couple times but to no avail I would get the Apple logo and the loading screen but then it would just shut back down. So I reset the PRAM and tried to run a hardware test on my hardware via holding a certain key combo on the keyboard (I forget the specifics, my roommate did this part...). It froze again near the end of the test.

From what it seems it could be the hard drive. If so, this would explain the uncommon yet noticeable situations when my MBP would become slow or unresponsive for 5-10 seconds then continue working as normal.

Thoughts?

2. jaqueh macrumors member

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It froze running AHT? You've got a pretty major hardware issue(unless he ran the wrong version of AHT).

I'd take it in for service. They'll probably end up replacing the logic board.

4. bobfitz14 thread starter macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

Replaced the hard drive and cable to the logic board for free :cool: thank you warranty. Apple customer service (aka Genius Bar) were very helpful too