15" MBP with Touch Bar weird clicking sound

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eknkc, Nov 22, 2016.

1. eknkc macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just received the new MBP. However, the first thing I noticed is that it makes a noise when I shake it side to side, as if there is something loose within the device, moving around.

I wonder if this is normal / anyone olse experienced something like it or should I just ship it back?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 22, 2016 ---
    Tried to record it;

I guess it's indeed broken. The clicking does not come from screen hinges or anything external. I can feed a thug inside the body. Any ideas?

2. eknkc thread starter macrumors newbie

Little update, found out about this and it's the same probem:

Apparently Apple said it's no problem to people before. Now that I have an unconditional replacement period, I guess I should try my chance with a new one? I'm just wondering if it's widespread and others have the same issue. If so, the replacement would probably come out same so no need to deal with that.

Would love to have someone confirm that theirs have no noise.

3. poorcody macrumors 6502a

poorcody

I just shook my 15" and it makes a similar noise. I hadn't noticed that before you mentioned it. Thanks a lot. :mad:

:D

4. eknkc thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha I guess I'm gonna keep this. Found a lot of discussion confirming that it happens and Apple says it's fine. Gotta go check a couple of them at an Apple Store to make sure though.

5. jdslow macrumors member

Mine does it too. Not quite as loud as the first video, but certainly noticeable.

6. glindon macrumors regular

glindon

I'm pretty sure that it's the haptic engine in the trackpad as it has a free floating counterweight. My 2016 15" does this (only when I quickly shift the right side down). My 2015 13" also did this. Tested my 2016 12" and it also does this but I have to shake it side to side. Looking at ifixit tear downs everything in all the models is either screwed down or glued. The only thing they all have in common is the trackpad has a similar Taptic Engine.

7. eknkc thread starter macrumors newbie

It is the display. You can lightly press on the panel and shake the device, no rattle.
    I checked my wife's MacBook (the 1 port one) and turns out it does that too. We never noticed. I guess this is pretty regular on these displays.