15" MBPr problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BoneDaddy, Nov 17, 2015.

1. BoneDaddy, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015

BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

I have nearly identical MBP in 13 and 15". Both are specked out and mid 2014 but I had the 13" first. As many Macs as I've had, this is my first 15". I got it used but nearly brand new. It only had 3 battery cycles and absolutely no sign of use. In fact, it smelled brand new, in box, and even the Apple cloth was in the pristine black envelope.

I heard of fans on 15" pros blowing like hell and it getting very hot. My 13 almost never had the fans high enough to hear. I was streaming a movie online and things got pretty insane. Is this normal? Right before the screenshots the fans were at over 5000rpms. This was a low quality movie in full screen. Graphics changing set to off.

Thanks for any and all help.

EDIT: Let me add that the other day when I had just gotten it, I got all excited and ran 3 external monitors with 4k video full screen at the same time and the temp was 85-90 with fans at over 5000. Seems normal to me. I was actually pleased. So for one low quality movie, this seems odd.

Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 10.50.11 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 10.49.51 PM.png

2. Dead0k macrumors regular

try to reset SMC

4k screens will tax you GPU ( and will produce more temp.)

3. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

Sorry, perhaps I caused some confusion in my post.

I do not own 4k monitors. I was playing 4k res videos on 3 monitors and the temps were as would be expected.

The focus here, relative to above, is that while playing a low quality movie on my MB screen, the temps still were very high and fans were on full blast.

Imagine a giant man punches you in the chest and fractures 5 ribs. To be expected right? Now imagine a 10 year old punches you in the chest and fractures 4 ribs. Not to be expected.

Thanks.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You said it yourself you were streaming a movie, from where?? what coding?? were you using chrome and flash?? unless this happens every time you stream I would put it down to the website and file you were streaming rather than the computer.

5. Dead0k macrumors regular

was it flash player movie (by adobe) ?!
    even youtube 4k videos will tax hard this graphic card

6. Tavicu macrumors regular

Tavicu

I had the same problem with my MBPr and took it to apple store.

They cleaned the air vents and replace the thermal paste. After that my MBP have 40deg (celsius) on normal use and never passed 65deg (still celsius) in heavy use.

Sometimes the stock thermal paste is wrong applied or too much.

7. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

Very good questions, thank you for pressing me to include that information.

I was streaming this link here (http://noslocker.com/d6741153b0a76cbe?pt=aXk3Q7rxLfzolnyPJ7iVcFRyp2uWj8tpz8WQnBM/PBw=). I'm sorry if someone doesn't agree with this, but I would have never went to see it in the theater, so I streamed it from 1channel.

As far as coding, I do not know. I was probably using Chrome AND Flash, which I just checked and thought I didn't have flash because I've always avoided it as it became unstable on Mac some time ago. But I found out I did have it, and I deleted it. I'm assuming it was active at the time.

Last, this Mac was restored off of my 13" from the latest time machine backup. Therefore IT must also have flash and full screen HD movies don't get that kind of response out of the 13". It seems the bigger, badder brother should handle it with no sweat. I could be missing factors in my thought process on the matter.

I believe I was using flash, and I was on Chrome, as I've used for years. I know 4K will tax, which is why I used it to see how awesome this machine was. But this particular movie was a low quality cam version.

Thanks gentlemen.

8. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

Sucks, this Mac is out of warranty. I have a three month warranty under the seller, so I'm not worried about having to replace it, but it only had three battery cycles and was pretty much brand new. So to have an issue right out of the box (technically), is a surprise to me. Opening up the bottom cover reveals a literally perfect interior. No dust, no ware what so ever. No marks, scratches, smudges... I mean this thing is as perfect as right out of the Apple store as far as the eye can see. Box and all contents, as well. The only thing I'm concerned about is the heat issue. Otherwise it's a champ.

9. Tavicu macrumors regular

Tavicu

The cleaning process it's not covered by apple warranty anyway. In my country costs 50 Euros to clean it.

As i told you in my previous message, mine was clean too but the thermal paste was wrong applied from the begining.

10. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

ss.jpg Ok here's some readings running a Youtube video, full screen, at 1440p, with Chrome. So maybe it was the flash?

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Flash and chrome are both CPU hogs on OSX and can cause this behaviour especially with a poorly coded file off of a dodgy website.

12. BoneDaddy, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2015

BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

Haha, yea that sums up my activities exactly. But I'm guessing you're right about flash and coding from the site, based off of the readings above.

This reminds me; Why on earth do Chrome and Skype use up so much resources. Skype takes up 50% of all my Mac has to give, wether I'm on a 2010 dual core MBP, or this 2014 quad core retina.

No, no I was just referencing the cleanliness to demonstrate how new it was, used.

13. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Just badly coded for OSX, google and microsoft pushing you away from apple products or just lazy porting either way it is annoying.

14. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

It is. I often do Skype sessions with a fellow producer, as we are tweaking and discussing work. It makes it far more convenient to do it on the same machine that I have Logic Pro open on, for passing files and other things. I started to use my phone or another Mac just for Skype, though my new 15" can handle it well enough now.

Thank you gentlemen for the assistance. Please keep an eye on this thread, for if I run into other anomalies I do not understand, I presume you will ease me in to enlightenment.

15. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Viewing this in Safari via your link took my CPU core temps to 45 degC. Fans were at 2000 RPM and below. This was on a 15" 2015 MBP, but the discrete graphics never kicked in per gfxCardStatus. I think there is an issue with this site and Chrome. There is a reason that Apple has its own browser...